Not confident with "producer name"

trickrick

I currently go as Trick Rick.

It's been this way for 3 years now actually. Back then I was looking for something that would stick in peoples heads and I think it does a good job at it but I don't like the way it sounds when someone says it. It also doesn't translate well on a logo nor does it sound good when said in french (I live in Quebec, Canada.)

I have a pretty decent following on SoundCloud now and I'm scared to change it and lose the listeners I've worked hard to acquire for the past 3 years. I also signed a track to a label under that alias. I've recently decided to produce a different genre so I thought maybe this was the time to "start fresh" with a new name.

I need honest opinions about this name.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Rick-144

lol jk. thats up to you, man. "Tricky Rick", maybe? Tricky Ricky, or ya Tricky Ricky-144 comin' at you live.

Last edited:
It does look and sound better when it's one word... Not 2 words. trickrick. It's said faster all in 1 like electrick. There will also be an amazing way to design it, you just haven't seen it yet.

I wouldn't change the name but if you have a different style you do you could work towards building another alias.

Last edited:
You're right, it does sound and look better. Didn't realize this before haha. I've thought of two alternatives which were Klimmek and Delacourt. Would these be better aliases in your opinion?

If your music is good, nobody will care what you call yourself. My bigger problem is coming up with something unique. The internet teaches us that everything has been thought up. References are right out the window.

I think nobody is confident about a producer name man, it's all about the music and image man. I honestly don't think DJ Mustard or Dr Dre really would sound cool as names if they wouldn't put out hits. You just feel like it's a cool name because you're familiar with them. Your name will grow man as long as your music is on point.

I went through the same thing. Went through a couple mediocre names (my last was Raandem Beats...), Then I just settled with my middle name, Pyus.

Look at rappers names J. cole For example, Jay-z, Simple but you remember the name - same with producers, as long as its nothing stupid like Flory Dory You'll be okay

I remember in an interview with the Beastie Boys they were asked where the name from. They all laughed and said it was the dumbest name thy could think of.

If you're really starting fresh, you could probably just make apost on all your old social profiles with a link to the new stuff/ new name. You'll probably lose a few fans in the transition, but only the ones with the least invested.

Trick Rick.. no sorry, that's not a very good name.. Rick the Trick, lol.. in some dialects that's definitely not the image you want to conjure up.

Personally I think having 'cool' names, especially for a solo-producer, is kinda silly and childish. All the really cool ones are taken.. I can't call myself Big L because some
scrawny pipsqueek from Harlem done took it ;)
Unless it's a integral part of your act, concept or whatever, or if it's a name people already call you. I'd say go with your own name or something based of that.
It'll just get in the way when you're composing serious avant garde soundtracks 20 years from now and still have to go by the name DJ Partycracker G, haha.. although, at that point it would
be kinda cool again.

haha. I have it! You should call yourself Trick Rubin!

Back