Newbie Production Questions - Software/Equipment/Course?

ash213

Hey Guys,

When I was young I messed around with beats, had no idea what I was doing. Now 15 years on, I want to give it another shot but learn the correct way.

So firstly, as a newb, what software should I focus on? Then what basic equipment should I get?

In addition, I am willing to pay good money to a tutor or a course. I live in the UK, can anyone recomend a decent course or tutor?

Finally, the genre of music I wish to focus on is hip hop, etc, you know the drill.

BTW if you want a laugh, these are the beats I made when I was a kid - Go To soundclick site and put this in the url /default.cfm?bandID=30547

Thanks

PS - I dont actually play an instruments, do I really need to know how to play something to have success?

Google "DAWs" and go from there, you will need an audio interface, headphones (not earbuds), monitors (Google "recording studio monitors") and either a Mac or PC will suffice but many will say the former is better than the latter.

Please know that the music industry is more about selling the dream that certain brands of equipment will make your music better moreso than selling the once reality of making money from music.

Stop asking the redundant question of whether learning to play an instrument is essential to producing music, if you decide to invest a lifetime into learning to play an instrument you will have skills that last a lifetime as opposed to solely being a mouse clicking and/or button pushing producer.

DAWs are mostly the same. The various differences between them are with emphasis on a certain aspect of music production, so using a few DAWs is helpful (using each DAW for what each DAW is best for).

And yo, I make youtube lessons. they're right here: Epsilon-144
- YouTube

and yup, learning an instrument will help you a lot. Since most composers today are both the musician and the producer, learning both music and production is important.

Last edited:
Back