Newbie with equipment questions

Black Mantis

I have been playing live instruments and recording digitally for years but am new to sampling, loops and beats etc. I was wondering what piece of equipment is most important to get me started creating music digitally. I see a guy near me selling the NI machine jam . But have seen the machine studio for sale as well. I like Hip Hop to give you an idea of what genre I prefer. Not sure if that is even what I should buy? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance . James

What is your workflow preference? Most important thing you need is a beyond cursory level understanding of music. What instruments do you play? Have a budget and only buy what you intend to use and don't get gear lust.

I play guitar some bass,drums and keys. Big price difference between the two. The studio seems to be the one everyone reviews on YouTube.

I prefer a digital piano like Casio's or Yamaha's, learn how to play piano and create your own melodies and harmonies. Just an idea.

So your saying to use the digital piano as a midi controller in conjunction with plug ins from my recording software. If you could elaborate. Thanks.

So your saying to use the digital piano as a midi controller in conjunction with plug ins from my recording software. If you could elaborate. Thanks.
Yes, it is. And with study, study and study to make your own melodies without samples. Just my humble opinion hehe.

When you say workflow are you asking if I prefer working on the computer or a individual interface?

No, I'm asking whether or not you prefer the ease (depending on experience) of software only or the hybrid of hardware and software, which depending on experience level, can be a PITA.

No, I'm asking whether or not you prefer the ease (depending on experience) of software only or the hybrid of hardware and software, which depending on experience level, can be a PITA.
I am comfortable with both ways. My budget is the most important factor as far as what piece of equipment I am going to buy. I see they offer a maschine micro mK2 for a good price. Thanks

I am also a new producer and I have never used a hardware gear along with my DAW. I was thinking of getting a MIDI keyboard but my budget is quite low. Also, at my place many of the models are not available in their original rate ( they're more expensive). But I found one fitting my budget, Alesis V mini, a 25 key model. Have anybody used this model and does anyone know if it works with any DAW?

I am also a new producer and I have never used a hardware gear along with my DAW. I was thinking of getting a MIDI keyboard but my budget is quite low. Also, at my place many of the models are not available in their original rate ( they're more expensive). But I found one fitting my budget, Alesis V mini, a 25 key model. Have anybody used this model and does anyone know if it works with any DAW?
If your plan is to be good playing keyboard/piano forget 25, 49 and 61 keys. 25 keys are soft, when you learn how to play you feel you need heavier keys, hammer action, it's better. If I was you, I would wait and buy a good digital piano with 88-keys. I searched and found Williams Allegro 2 and it seems to be very good, I think I will buy one.

Last edited:
Back