Newb - where to start

Touma

i've been playing the guitar and bass for a few years, covering songs and solos, alone in my room, that's it, everything i know about music . i really wan to research a little bit before i start with producing, how to write a song, the whole process from the beginning, how to make a beat, whats important, a songs structure, everything there is to know, it seems so damn interesting, im not trying to make a living as a producer or something like that, music is just osmething that i love and that i want to understand better, any tips ? can someone post a good link or recommend me a book or something like that ?

Well, to be honest I think you already have most of the info. Just listen to the songs that you like and break them down to chord progrsions, number of bars, melodies etc.
Then start and learn these as you would guitar.
Also mess around at first, don't try and create anything special, just mess around and have some fun until you grasp the basics.
I strongly believe that when you are first starting out, like the first weeks or months just go with whatever you cand do at the moment.
After that study some basic music theory if you don't already know. With the basics I mean time signatures, beats, chords and scales. You've got a big advantage that you already know 2 instruments.
Get some VST's mess around with their sounds, and just create to your heart's desire. See what works and what doesn't.
Thats all I can think off right now. Check out the last article in my blog, links in my sig

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the advie, i'm into alt rock/grunge / j-rock , bright sounding "motivating" single notes on the guitar is a simple bass line and simple drumms is what i had in mind, for now at least

Back