New to producing need help with song structure!

Acidtone

I am fairly new to the game but I do have some experience with fl studio. I have now switched over to abelton as my program of choice. I would like to get into making EDM genre music but im having difficulty with song structure.
Can anybody point me in the right direction as far as how many bars to make the intro, what the drop should consist of, middle and end.

All help is appreciated and namaste my fellow producing Fam!

Listen to music you like and map out it's structure on paper. That's what I have done to learn song structure.

Just make sure your song is good, if you start to follow too many rules you will be a copy, so just let it flow

Last edited:
Just make sure your song is good, if you start to follow too many rules you will be a copy, so just let it flow

Very true. But it is a good idea to map out your favorite songs. I would also take note on what they bring in and take away at each section of the song.

That's the point, but I was talking about all the youtube tutorials about "make a [insert genre] song", most of them give you a recipe, and we're talking about music, so here your ear got the last word.

IMO is better to try to emulate a song, like STEFKEF told. We've to train our ears... when you got a sound in your mind, then you can try and learn how you can get that sound, not before.

Too many persons love to work with recipes, I was one of them, until I get tired to do the same sh**.

I ain't gotta lie, I'm still a noob, but I decided to take the long way now.

You're probably talking about this electro-house stuff people are naming as EDM. Normally it comes like this:

Intro (with build up and drop) - 16 or 32 bars
Verse - 16 bars
Chorus - 32 or 64 bars
Breakdown - 16 or 32 bars (with build up and second drop)
Verse - 16 bars
Chorus - 32 or 64 bars
Outro - as many bars as you want it to be

Keep in mind this is the structure for GENERIC electro-house or any other popular style nowadays labeled wrongly as "EDM", and it isn't a rule, so experiment.

Back