New producers too cocky?

Not with the internet and social media being what is today.You can post music to sites all day and that's all people need.The average listener is "sold on you"
so...,you post your music online and people like you,You might still end up not making a dime.too much emphasis shoudn't be placed on this.

Last edited:
So I'm still tryna find out what producers are cocky? Lol

Sorry about that , I could have been clearer .

The OP stated it like this

"Is it just me or do you guys find that a lot of new producers get into the game and live in their own world where they think they're work is top notch and what everyone else does it so easy and wack?

I have a friend who producers and think he's fire, but I can honestly say I'm much better then him as a producer. Every beat he hears, it could be a Mike Will made it beat, and he'll say something like "That's so easy to do and simple, wait until they hear my ish"
Drives me nuts...

A lot of new producers are not humble and get big headed, but then I listen to their work and I'm really not impressed at all.

I've been producing for just over 2 years and been going hard in terms of knowledge. I've always been humble with my work being new to the game I have this sense of whatever I produce is ok, but I always feel like it could be better, even when it comes to playing my beats I play them in the studio with the engineer to get his feedback but I still don't promote like crazy because I haven't gotten that satisfaction myself to say "Ok I'm nice with this production ish"."

It kinda moved on to how you see such a thing in your own experience .

Last edited:
Most top producers I know are pretty humble and laid back about their work actually. It's just that today everybody with Fruity Loops and a couple of months worth of experience can call himself a producers and consequently many more "producers" are visible these days. That being said especially in Hip-Hop cockyness is very wide-spread, but you should see it as a comic factor and not take it too seriously. To some it is part of the game apparently.

Well Im a musician and I have been in the music industry for along time. I have understand that cockiness comes from lack of exposure to other people and their music. These new producers compare themselves to top producers because thats all the listen to, which make them believe they in the race against them. Rather than seeing its more than 15 top producers, its actually 100,000 producers competing for the same goal. New producers dont expose theirself to real music and other people which make them believe that they the best thing on the planet. Real Talk..

I have been learning music production for about 6 months and i post most of my work to soundcloud and facebook to get what people think of it. I know i am not very good YET but i am defo improving every day. I think you need to be abit cocky sometimes but you defo need to know when you're work is crap.

Yo I feel u on that.Im new to the digital world of it so I'm always looking at new tuts to get better.Even if I make something I'm surprised about I feel great to get a good responce. Kids have a need to feel like there the best. Men just keep working to get better and respect the next mans success.

just do what i'd do and challenge the guy to a battle?if he isn't descriptive in why he believes an instrumental is simple why not test his ass lol.

i mean if he doesn't mention chord progression synth placement percussion duration effect usage etc why bother not testing him?

you could be humble, or you know make him show you his methods.

You are who you say you are unless someone says otherwise.In music biz,ur mouth sells you before your music.

:ssss RIGHTTTTT!!?? lol

I wish that where the case, I'd be telling everyone I'm the grammy champ of the year...

music speaks for itself, and we're talking production here, not gimmick artists.

What producers are you talking about? Examples?

No main stream producers, I'm speaking more producers on the come up or who are just starting out.

I know a few personally, but no one that any one else would know of.

I've seen a few producers on this site big up their work and I'm quickly disappointed.

But again everyone has their own personalities and strategies, some people do such things just to get the attention to begin with, but that can sometimes backfire.

it sounds like your homie is breaking the tenth newbie commandment:

• Thou Shalt “REMAIN HUMBLE”
I know a lot of you are wondering…What does being HUMBLE have to do with music production? Well, I’ll tell you. Remaining HUMBLE will enable you to do EVERYTHING ELSE on this list. Humility will keep you GROUNDED so you will always have something to STRIVE for. Once you THINK you know everything you will become complacent. You will lose your DRIVE and slowly start to lose sight of your goals. Remembering that there is always something you can learn from the “Next Man” will keep you HUNGRY in the game and help to fuel your ambitions. We are ALL imperfect creatures and thus there is ALWAYS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT. Never become so cocky that you are not willing to LISTEN to the Ideas and Advice of other people. Always remember that this journey you are about to embark on is one of COMMITMENT, DETERMINATION and FOCUS. These are the things you will need aid you in you quest for SUCCESS…..

I try to be realistic and more than anything just look for feedback

Sometimes I wonder if "being realistic" doesn't just hold people back. Many new artists, in any field, are convinced that what they create is crap, that they'll never get good, and that it's all a giant waste of time. When you're feeling that way, your perception of what's realistic is pretty skewed toward pessimism. Far more so than the actually promising results give reason to.

It's like Henry Ford said, “Whether you think you can, or you think you can't -- you're right.”

I feel that someone who overestimates their current abilities, but draws self-esteem and powerful drive from it, is in a better place than someone who underestimates themselves and is too timid to share their creations or, worse, gives up because they think it's all hopeless. Sometimes, a little arrogance is a good thing.

Nothing wrong with being honest with yourself, but never try to own your limitations. Just because you are weak at something doesn't mean the world has to know. Thats why I like Kanye, nigga will flat out tell you his music is classic, and delivers on that shlt. Why should anyone seeking greatness strive to be humble?

Humble pie...I eat it.

New producers know very little. This game is pain for the up & coming. Production is a craft & to reach perfection in ANY craft, it takes time. But there's no sense in being cocky as a new producer, unless your name is Lex Luger...& last I checked, he was pretty humble.

Back