New producers too cocky?

TDOT

Is it just me or do you guys find that a lot of new producers get into the game and live in their own world where they think they're work is top notch and what everyone else does it so easy and wack?

I have a friend who producers and think he's fire, but I can honestly say I'm much better then him as a producer. Every beat he hears, it could be a Mike Will made it beat, and he'll say something like "That's so easy to do and simple, wait until they hear my ish"
Drives me nuts...

A lot of new producers are not humble and get big headed, but then I listen to their work and I'm really not impressed at all.

I've been producing for just over 2 years and been going hard in terms of knowledge. I've always been humble with my work being new to the game I have this sense of whatever I produce is ok, but I always feel like it could be better, even when it comes to playing my beats I play them in the studio with the engineer to get his feedback but I still don't promote like crazy because I haven't gotten that satisfaction myself to say "Ok I'm nice with this production ish".

What do you guys think? Do you think that maybe being big headed and promoting urself as a genius, and so and so artist should holler at you because you've got fire for them?

Or do you think the humble route is the way to go? I'm sure there's pros and cons to both.

Mouth shut and eyes and ears open as a rule of thumb .

Let them shoot the breeze all day , concentrate on your work .
Listeners will like what they like , friends might blow smoke but that accounts for nothing at all .

I think professionally, it's best to be humble. On here and Twitter and whatnot, I go out of my way not to bash others, especially those who are doing what I'm still trying to do.

But there's nothing wrong with a little personal confidence. I think some of my music is better than some of the other stuff I hear (it is MY music, and I made it coz I like it). But I think, "I'm nobody until I'm somebody" (in this business), and that's how I keep it in check. And that's not being negative - it actually motivates me into this positive grind I've been on for a while.

Last edited:
I've actually used the idea of talking my skills up to demonstrate to otherwise shy players that the best way to get pumped for a recording session is to be brash and confident - no point in walking in to lay down some ish and be so uncertain of yourself that nothing happens.

that said, youth is for being bold and full of yourself, in time, you begin to realise that you may not have the game or the skills you think you do....

so maybe your friend is full of it, maybe not, time is the only arbiter of this sort of thing

^^ I like that,
I think sometimes maybe they just do it to get your attention in the first place, but then in those cases you better deliver

In this "field" talk means absolutely nothing.
I've heard dudes get technical and explain things in theory.and that sounds good and all but when
you hear their music,they're trash.On the other hand i've heard cats talks about how their stuff is
just "o.k" but when you hear it,you're blown away.

Keep it humble and let the music speak for itself.

Peace

Idk. If they got the music/sound to back up what they say. This even goes to the rappers too. I agree with Soul, the music should definitely speak for itself first, which is also the main thing anyways.

I don't even know if this is off-topic, but one thing I can't understand is the profile description of some producers being always in third person, like: "DarkYsidro is a Brazilian producer...", as if the description was made by some sort of specialized magazine. I think descriptions like this are made to give unnecessary importance to someone who is just like everybody else.

It takes a lot more than "making beats" to be a successful music producer. Study your craft and other successful people in this business and be ready to deliver when opportunity knocks. Be confident and don't worry about what other people think of themselves or you. Just move forward and ask yourself "How baaaddd do I want it".:victory:

I don't even know if this is off-topic, but one thing I can't understand is the profile description of some producers being always in third person, like: "DarkYsidro is a Brazilian producer...", as if the description was made by some sort of specialized magazine. I think descriptions like this are made to give unnecessary importance to someone who is just like everybody else.

That's typical marketing. You want your company to seem & look bigger than it is. It brings confidence to the buyer that they're going with the right company. The buyer doesn't know who wrote what.

That's typical marketing. You want your company to seem & look bigger than it is. It brings confidence to the buyer that they're going with the right company. The buyer doesn't know who wrote what.
I understand this applies to producers who sell their songs, but I've seen this a lot on soundcloud, even with people saying they're producing for 4 months.

You are who you say you are unless someone says otherwise.In music biz,ur mouth sells you before your music.

You are who you say you are unless someone says otherwise.In music biz,ur mouth sells you before your music.

Not even close.Not with the internet and social media being what is today.
You can post music to sites all day and that's all people need.
The average listener is "sold on you" as soon as they hear you music not by some obnoxious
rambling about how dope you are.

Peace

Not even close.Not with the internet and social media being what is today.You can post music to sites all day and that's all people need.The average listener is "sold on you" as soon as they hear you music not by some obnoxiousrambling about how dope you are.Peace
so you go about telling people you're an average joe till they hear your tracks?Good luck then.

I agree and disagree with your opinion. For example, Arrab Muzik is one of the best to hit the circuit. He is humble. But, sometimes average joes tend to blow there ego to shreds not knowing they still have a lot to learn. I myself am stilling reading on production before I try to cook up. Manuals are a mans best friend lol :)

Back