New producer need help for a question!

Zak_GBz

Hi guys I'm currently new into producing and I've been searching the web for these answers but the web didn't have it so! My question is that what instruments are used in hip hop and what are their definitions? For an example what is a pad? and also what goes good with each instrument or tips you have on them :)

Another thing is that what are these/ used for and what are their definitions?
- Arpeggios
- Leads
- Pads
- Splits and Sequences
- Textures and FX
:hmmm:

What you're asking for is really vague but i'll give it a shot:

- Arpeggios are when you play the notes of a chord individually in ascending or descending order.
- Leads are the instrument you hear in the front of the mix, they're "leading" the song. They're often dryer and louder than the rest of the instruments (excluding drums).
- Pads are usually in the back of the mix, "padding" the song. They're often wetter than all the other instruments in the song and add a ambience.
- Sequencers are something you use in a daw to tell it what notes to play and when.
- Textures come from the quality of a instruments sound, these textures are created by the way the harmonics are structured.
- FX stands for effects - reverb, echo, distortion would all fall under that umbrella but also any sound used as a effect rather than musical addition in a song.

Last edited:
- FX stands for effects - reverb, echo, distortion would all fall under that umbrella but also any sound used as a effect rather than musical addition in a song.
FX can also mean special effects. Which reminds me, I downloaded an sFX pack once. Boy did things get dark fast...
Anyways, if you download one, just be sure to use the gunshot & crowd effects wisely, and preferably in different songs... ;)

Last edited:
I'd suggest youtube and reading the manual.
But moreso the manual because it's so many youtube videos rolled into one :]

Back