New here and frustrated: production credit?

Miears2

I'm new to this forum so, hello!

I am a producer/singer/songwriter who is in a band but I have also started a solo side project. I write/produce/perform electronic music (I've never been good at deciphering my own genre.. But it's dancy and synthy to give you some insight). I use Logic Pro 9 and prefer my MicroKorg, Arturia Mini Brute, Roland ax-09, as well as a variety of VSTs.

I compose and produce my tracks from scratch, and write all of my vocals as well as record them... I handle all of the arrangement and finalize the song all the way through a rough mix. I am going to put out an EP, and my final step will be to have the tracks mixed and mastered by an engineer that I have previously worked with.

Here is my question: I have 2 good friends who are musicians but not in the electronic world (they are a blues rock drummer and bass guitarist) who are telling me that, if I have the songs mixed and mastered by an engineer, he should get production credit... I've explained to them til I'm blue in the face why this is not the case - he would get mixing and mastering credit, but not production.

Can anyone on here back me up on this?

Thanks sterlingrichard!

Last time I worked with this engineer, he did not ask for production credit. In my opinion, giving someone production credit in my genre implies that they were involved in the creative process of making the song.. From the synth lines to the beat to the arrangement. I do not like that it would be perceived that the engineer did these things, as I feel it would be taking away from the work I have done. To me it's a perception amongst many in the music community as well as avid music listeners, that whoever gets production credit had a hand in creating the song. I have a song, which I composed, wrote, produced, and recorded in full. I could release it as-is with my mix, and it would still be a full song just the same. It just needs the touch of a professional mixing engineer in my opinion to take it to the next level from a mix perspective. Do you realistically feel a producer would ever give a mixing engineer production credit in this scenario? I personally felt it wouldn't even be an option. Just like I would never ask for mixing credit for simply saying "this is how I want the mix to be... change this or change that". My friends argued "why do you care so much?" I care because I put hours of work into creating a song, and I don't want it to be perceived that anyone else had a hand in that part of the process. I don't feel that it is wrong of me to feel passionate about that.

Anyway - this is wordy, and passionate, mainly because of the discussions I've had with my friends. Hopefully none of this sounds rude, I appreciate your feedback. Just stating where I'm coming from and providing some insight into my thought process on this.

Last edited:
production means overall sonic vision and responsibility for bringing the project in on time and within budget

if you give that responsibility to the mix engineer or the mastering engineer then, yes, they get production credits; if not, they get credited for what they did

note, however, that in any case, getting mix credit, mastering credit or production credit does not mean you have given them publishing credits or composition credits (words/music) or royalty points or splits on sales and other uses.

When in doubt sign a contract stating what they receive in exchange for the work: i.e. what payment in what amounts at what times for fee for service arrangement. Some folks might also include an exclusion clause stating what they cannot claim once the contract is signed. Get a lawyer to check over a draft you create to keep it lawful in the country/state you live in.

Thank you so much bandcoach! The engineer will not be responsible for any of the items mentioned in your post. I will be with him during the mixing sessions as well. With that said, I believe we both agree that he should get credit for mixing/mastering, but not production.

I also appreciate your advice regarding the overall agreement as I want to protect my work. Thank you for your reply!

Last edited:
I'd only be prepared to give credit for the work done...

Eg...

produced by: NoGuru (this is the name I'm gonna go by for this example)
mixed by: joe bloggs
mastered by: ed stones
session musicians: jeff blubberwale (bass), mary wallaby (vocals), jon snatchers (guitar), CrazyHorse (scratches)

etc

Back