New to this game

Shadyj93

I'm just bought everything i need to produce some edm. Just wondering if any of the seasoned vets on here have any tips or tricks that would help me get started. Thanks.

Welcome dude just keep doing it you will get better with time Ableton is a great choose i started with intro now have standard and love everything about it best of luck.

Learn music theory. I think it helps a lot. Practice an instrument along with learning the production. You can just produce other people's music, but it's better to be the full package. Production by it self will not make you a hit. You need to be creative. The creativity of the song needs to be 80% of your effort (if you're an artist). The production really isn't that hard. the creative song writing is the challenge. If you're just a producer and not a musician, you're fine just learning the technical things. Use this knowledge to record and produce other musicians music.

Also practice everyday for a few hours, 5-6 days a week. it'll all start to come to you and become a full days work, 5-6 days a week (if you want to produce records as a living). If you any specific questions, we're here for ya! Welcome.

Last edited:
  • Learn music theory. I think it helps a lot. Practice an instrument along with learning the production. You can just produce other people's music, but it's better to be the full package. Production by it self will not make you a hit. You need to be creative. The creativity of the song needs to be 80% of your effort (if you're an artist). The production really isn't that hard. the creative song writing is the challenge. If you're just a producer and not a musician, you're fine just learning the technical things. Use this knowledge to record and produce other musicians music.

Also practice everyday for a few hours, 5-6 days a week. it'll all start to come to you and become a full days work, 5-6 days a week (if you want to produce records as a living). If you any specific questions, we're here for ya! Welcome.​
    Last edited by Epsilon-144; 1 Hour Ago at 11:10 AM.​

Thanks
I read music theory for dummies twice, took notes, but it didn't stick.....then went on a hiatus......I am using FL studio 12 the latest version. So I want to find a easy to follow Music theory tutorial online since I am a visual learner. I have a small keyboard and headphones. Can you recommend any youtube channels? I mainly produce hip-hop r/b edm? Thanks

PS I am following busyworkbeats music theory, but a lot of people don't like him for whatever reason

Last edited:
Hello Shadyj93, i would recommend learning the basics in both music theory and sound design, with that and experience you can do great stuff!

Back