New confused producer here, looking for some advice :)

Hello everybody, im new to producing and im trying to learn the basics. Im using FL studio 12 and my goal is to produce trance music, mostly. I have learned the "very basics" so to speak. But im pretty confused with alot of the tools in this program and terms in tutorials. I would really appriciate if someone had time to help me out a little bit :)

What would you focus on learning first? To get a good overview so to say?

Best regards :)

I would just get used to creating the music before really getting into the advanced mixing stuff. Start out by just creating drum beats/patterns that sound good and making a complimentary bassline. After that, work to create some chords and melodies that go with it. Once you feel like you have a good handle on those basics, then start to focus on sound design (which is where it will get much more complicated)

I would just get used to creating the music before really getting into the advanced mixing stuff. Start out by just creating drum beats/patterns that sound good and making a complimentary bassline. After that, work to create some chords and melodies that go with it. Once you feel like you have a good handle on those basics, then start to focus on sound design (which is where it will get much more complicated)
Hello, thank you for your reply! Actually thats what ive been doing so far, learning how to very simply put together a track with a kik, snare, hat, bassline and melody. Not chords though.

Im trying to learn more in depth and use EQ, panning, learning all the confusing settings on synthesisers such as sytrus. So far only used presets.

Do you have any idea on where i should start? I feel a bit confused about all the things i have to learn right now haha.

Like the other poster said, I would ignore EQ, panning, and learning synthensizers at first. Take it step by step. Learn kicks, snares, melodies, basslines, music theory, chords, and use the most basic plugins they have. After you get a hang of that which might take a few months, then start working on mixing or learning synths

I’m also new to music production. A pro musician of many years but I just built my first home recording studio. I’m still learning the basics myself. YouTube tutorials are helpful. I’m using Cubase 9 daw. The important thing is to have fun!

Back