New!

Bakura

Hi there im completely new to the forum and everything about music production.

I was wanting to know where to get started and it's quite an odd sound im wanting to achieve. I really like a J-Rock band named Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas who do electronic hardcore music and i was wanting to replicate their programmers / keyboardist sound.

I think this song best represents their sound, I know most people will hate the sound but im just looking for advice.

at 1m39s

Hope someone can help and if this is in the wrong section my apologies I had no idea where to post a general question with the sections provided! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
it's simple electronica - do you have reason? some of these sounds are stock presets for their thor synth (at least to my ears)

mostly sawwaves with aggressive adsrs on the vca and little filtering but heavily modulated to incorporate resonance and filter cutoff closing and opening where needed

it's simple electronica - do you have reason? some of these sounds are stock presets for their thor synth (at least to my ears)

mostly sawwaves with aggressive adsrs on the vca and little filtering but heavily modulated to incorporate resonance and filter cutoff closing and opening where needed

Well I'm completely new to producing. I only play guitar at the moment but im wanting to branch out and get into this sort of thing.
What software and hardware would I need to replicate it?

Oh and I don't have reason, what is it? Also a thor Synth? Sorry is im being too knowledgeable about it all.

Last edited:
Reason is one of plenty Digital Audio Workstations (simply DAWs), like Ableton(which im using), FL Studio, Logic Pro (OSX users) etc.
Although they cost some $$$, you can always try free demo/trial version, just find them on software websites => Ableton, FL Studio and Reason

What software and hardware would I need to replicate it?

From software it will be as i said: DAW, and a VST plugin inside a DAW.
Popular DAWs usually come up with plenty built-in plugins, samples etc, but you can also buy more on the internet or just find some free ones which are also worth checking.
Thor is an example of mentioned VST from Reason.
You can also experiment with recording your sounds from guitar (because you play one) or plugging in exterrnal synthesizers, but it's an additional expense so i don't recommend it until you get familiar with basics and you are sure to follow this path.

No need to apologize, you will learn a lot with time :)
Hope I clarified a little!

ff

Last edited:
Cool sound! You can definitely replicate this without too much crazy knowledge. (As in you won't really have to dig to deeply into sound synthesis. Most of this sounds like presets.) Though given where you are now, you do have a lot to learn first... although I suppose that doesn't take into account how skilled you are at composing songs already and playing guitar.

As far as what to do to begin your journey, I second what FullFlex said.

You should pick up a DAW and begin playing. I personally recommend Logic (Mac only), but any will do. It's not about the tool, it's about how well you know and use the tool. The DAWs Flex mentioned are all widely used and popular. However I would recommend against Reason as your first DAW. It is the most different out of the bunch and is a little more complicated to really learn... and your skill on it may not translate over as easily to other DAWs because of this.

I would recommend FL Studio first, then Ableton. This isn't because FL is better, but simply because a massive body of beginners use it and it will be easy to find some tutorials that will get you off on the right foot.

In any case, there should be similar presets to many of these types of sounds in just about any large commercial DAW.

And everyone starts at the same place - knowing nothing! No worries - you will pick it up if you stick with it.

Good luck!

Back