Need some advice

beginner123

Hi, I’m a newbie here, for who help would be really appreciated. After years of playing piano and learning basic concepts of music theory, I finally took up an interest in broadening my horizons and listening to different genres of music than classic (in an analyzing way). I especially liked Deep House and EDM, and considered that it would be a good idea to learn to make this kind of music. After lots of searching in Google and watching Youtube videos, I finally figured out that I don’t really know from where to start. There’s lots of information, a lot of courses. Moreover, there’re Youtube videos how to make electro music step by step, but it often consist of synthesizers, loops, samples and stuff that I couldn’t afford, and idk how to do the same, for example, with free alternatives. Therefore I would really appreciate help if you could tell me from where to start, or recommend not expensive courses or give any useful links or information (It would be really good if they were on FL studio, because it seems to me as a comfortable DAW to start with). Thank you in advance and sorry if this question isn’t in the right place.

First things first: Deep House IS EDM. EDM stands for Electronic Dance Music, which means it is the generic name for all genres of electronic music.

Now, with that new knowledge in mind, I advice you to "choose" one subgenre (like the deep house you mentioned) and start watching tutorials linked to that subgenre. Keep in mind, though, that nothing you're gonna watch is a set of rules. Experiment, try new things and learn other subgenres as well to create your own music.

I think learning about every single thing before you start producing yourself may just overwhelm you and be causing you confusion. I would recommend just getting in there and learning the hard way: through experience. Grab a Daw, just make drum patterns, loops, small ideas and eventually you will learn and move on to more advanced production

I think learning about every single thing before you start producing yourself may just overwhelm you and be causing you confusion. I would recommend just getting in there and learning the hard way: through experience. Grab a Daw, just make drum patterns, loops, small ideas and eventually you will learn and move on to more advanced production

Not the best option, IMO. Without any solid base for production, you'll end up wit lots of different horrible projects and will be frustrated.
Of course you need to get the hang of production and this comes from experience. But you need to KNOW what you want to do. Basically you need to think: WHY I started doing this? WHO influenced me to give the first step? And then search for tutorials on that genre or artist and try to mimic what they do.

Not the best option, IMO. Without any solid base for production, you'll end up wit lots of different horrible projects and will be frustrated.
Of course you need to get the hang of production and this comes from experience. But you need to KNOW what you want to do. Basically you need to think: WHY I started doing this? WHO influenced me to give the first step? And then search for tutorials on that genre or artist and try to mimic what they do.

Fair enough. I maintain that trying to make beats and then learning as you go along, and supplementing that with tutorials when you know what questions you have would me a good way of going about things. It's the idea of "You don't know what you don't know", its hard to pinpoint ones own area of ignorance until you actually try and see what you lack. But I see what you are saying.

I understand where you are, I was right where u were for 6 months ago. I wanted to make music. I consider myself a newbie but my music is keep getting better and better by everyday.
As some people already said you should from the start know what kind of music you want to make and in this case deephouse. I would say get familiar with all the genres that comes close to deep house like tropical and even some progressive if u like that which will make u improve faster if u are music oriented.

And if u are completly new to making music and your DAW I would suggest u do as people said before and start making some drumloops and patterns just to get the feeling. But after that I would suggest you start listen to music and analys it. In the beginning just take your favorite song, and focus and get all the elements and arrangement right. Just get a kick, hihats, bassline, lead, claps like your favorite song so u get a feeling on how a song is constructed. Ignore if your kick/bass or lead sounds crap just get the arrangement going then when u feel you got all the arrengment down in your DAW you can start focus on making the kick/bass/hihats better and more suitable for your track.

And by that u just have to start researching on internet. Make up a scheule like tonight I want to get a good kick for my track. just start researching and start looking on helpfulls guides and articles and start searching for good samples which are important. If you want to be a good producer the researching in the beginning you have to put alot of effort to and can be very frustrated aswell. Just snap up some good sites with guides.

I hope you understand what I mean even tho my english might suck and just keep in mind to keep making music even tho it will sound shiit the first 3-5 months depending on how dedicated you are to research, improve and analyzing.

But its so fun for me comparing a track I made the first month and now 6 months later and just hear by ear how much Ive improved. And thats whats motivate me to keep making music.

Get a book. Don't listen to everything you see on the internet dude, trust me. If you do take advice from someone, be sure to listen to their music first. Some people here actually do know what they are talking about, but for the most part it is mostly just opinions of someone who has been fooling with a daw for a couple years.. Blind leading the blind.. Wherever you get information, just make sure it's a reliable source! It can save you a lot of time and bad habits.

Last edited:
Back