Need help with coming up with a production/rap group/label name

hype the producer

livin phat
I hope title is not too confusing lol. I need a name for the group of people consisting of producers and rappers, with idea to start a label one day. I really like the name Purple City Records, however, there are already organisations like Purple City Productions, Purple City Entertainment and Purple City Music, so do they own rights on the "Purple City" name? What is interesting, Purple City Music is a record label that is not affiliated with other two, so I guess the name Purple City Records is an option.

Also, good name is Purple Haze Records (after the weed), or maybe Purple Haze Music? I will welcome any new ideas people. Yes, it has to have "purple" in the name because it's my favorite color (and not only mine, but also some other peoples in the group too), and I have this great picture with city building's lights acting like analyzer and the whole picture has this purple tone to it, so I'm sticking with it, all I need is a name. :cheers:

what are your songs about?!

Last edited by a moderator:
As for me, I name myself according to the topics touched in my songs!
Don't pay attention to my the nickname)))
if you name several topics, we can think over the group name.
It's like reading a book, you read it at first and then you are able to understand the title meaning!

Last edited by a moderator:
As for me, I name myself according to the topics touched in my songs!
Don't pay attention to my the nickname)))
if you name several topics, we can think over the group name.
It's like reading a book, you read it at first and then you are able to understand the title meaning!

Yeah I know what you mean :) Thanks for your effort, but I really just want general name. Plus topics are, like I said, mostly hip hop general - socially conscious themes, also political themes, but also gangsta rap, money, guns, drugs... then a couple of r&b inspired themes: love, breaking up... Really everything

Hey - in terms of ownership to names like the others you mentioned, there are a couple of things to consider. First, if someone has trademarked, service marked, or copyrighted their name or anything affiliated with it, you may have an issue because someone could come along and sue you for using their name, especially if its in the same area of service (music production). For example, if I started making beats under the name Jay-Z, I'd probably run into trouble. However, most people who "register' businesses do that on a state level - so, if they're in CA they probably register in CA. You can do it on the national level, but I'd be surprised if any local producer had done either, especially on the federal level. If you're wanting to use a name that's already out there, I'd take a look at who's using it - if they're local and not doing anything big and are far away from you, it's probably safe. If you wanted to be sure, you could check the state database of registered businesses - varies state by state where that is.

About your name - you've got to think about what's going to sell. Yes, your favorite color is purple, and that's important to you, but what's going to sell the thousands of OTHER people to you? They aren't going to care about your favorite color - they are going to want to sign with a label that sounds professional. Not saying you shouldn't use purple - I think it's good to have personal meaning behind a name, but make sure whatever you chose is something other people are going to like too. Your name is more than just something personal to you - it's a business marketing tool that is going to either make you sound lame or professional.

When you say "Purple City Productions," my mind first wondered what city you were in and why it is called "purple city" - the first thing that someone thinks of when they think of your name is huge, so give that some thought. If you don't want people's first thought to be, "Why is he calling our city purple?" then there may be another name out there.

Last thing - after you get some more ideas for names, you may want to start another post with a poll with your top 4 names and see what people vote as the hottest.

Just my thoughts....

Hey - in terms of ownership to names like the others you mentioned, there are a couple of things to consider. First, if someone has trademarked, service marked, or copyrighted their name or anything affiliated with it, you may have an issue because someone could come along and sue you for using their name, especially if its in the same area of service (music production). For example, if I started making beats under the name Jay-Z, I'd probably run into trouble. However, most people who "register' businesses do that on a state level - so, if they're in CA they probably register in CA. You can do it on the national level, but I'd be surprised if any local producer had done either, especially on the federal level. If you're wanting to use a name that's already out there, I'd take a look at who's using it - if they're local and not doing anything big and are far away from you, it's probably safe. If you wanted to be sure, you could check the state database of registered businesses - varies state by state where that is.

About your name - you've got to think about what's going to sell. Yes, your favorite color is purple, and that's important to you, but what's going to sell the thousands of OTHER people to you? They aren't going to care about your favorite color - they are going to want to sign with a label that sounds professional. Not saying you shouldn't use purple - I think it's good to have personal meaning behind a name, but make sure whatever you chose is something other people are going to like too. Your name is more than just something personal to you - it's a business marketing tool that is going to either make you sound lame or professional.

When you say "Purple City Productions," my mind first wondered what city you were in and why it is called "purple city" - the first thing that someone thinks of when they think of your name is huge, so give that some thought. If you don't want people's first thought to be, "Why is he calling our city purple?" then there may be another name out there.

Last thing - after you get some more ideas for names, you may want to start another post with a poll with your top 4 names and see what people vote as the hottest.

Just my thoughts....

Thanks for your time and thoughts, I really appreciate it. But this isn't going to be something huge, just couple of friends having fun, maybe, and i say maybe, one day, we start independent label, but that's maybe in 5 or 10 years.

And just to clear things up, there is already Purple City Productions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_City_Productions

I'm actually wondering how you haven't heard for Purple City Productions group, Agallah is one of the members, maybe even one of the founding members. I really liked the name so I came up with Purple City Records (plus I don't even live in US but in Europe, so I don't think copyright will be the issue). Idk, I don't want anything "profound", just simple, cool, catchy name :cheers:

Hey man - that makes a lot of sense :). Definitely have fun - yeah, no worries if it's not too serious, and yeah - probably don't have anything to worry about in terms of legal stuff unless you start selling stuff here, and that will be a few years down the road sounds like!

So, this just came to mind - "Purpetrators" :)

Why do these "help me with a rap/group/mc/producer name" threads keep comin up. Look inside YOURSELF and choose a name that is both relevant and meaningful to you and your crew. That. Is. All.

I know just about every name under the sun has been used, but have you considered trying one that doesn't sound really close to a few already successful groups?

I would think it would help you stand out a bit more.

Last edited:
Back