Hey guys so within this week I will be beginning to build my first home studio. I plan on using it to record vocals and some guitar/bass/violin/miscellaneous instruments i get my hands on. I use FL studio 9 and make mostly hip-hop beats and some dubstep every blue moon, so simply put, bass heavy music. I have an Akai MPK25 which is amazing and I highly recommend. I've been narrowing my list of basic components down with a tight budget in mind and here is what I've got:
MICS: MXL 990/991 package - $80
- Everywhere I've read reviews I have heard great things about these two mics. I know they are obviously not top of the line but for the price I don't think I could get a better deal
MONITORS: Yamaha HS50m x2 - $350.00 (174.99 each)
- My biggest concern for monitors was getting the best possible set for mixing and mastering. Everywhere I've read I've heard these are the flattest "truest" sounding monitors available in my price range. I debated getting some KRK's but I've heard they are too "colored" and compensate for the bass too much so not the best for mixing. My biggest concern with these monitors are the fact that they have 5" woofers so the bass response might not be what I need. I'm thinking that for the price I'm getting them at I'm just going to have to adjust my ear and mix knowing they lack on the lower end until I save up for a sub.
INTERFACE/PREAMP: fOCUSRITE SCARLETT 2i2/ PRESONUS AUDIOBOX 2x2 $150
- OK so this is where I need help the most. I'm undecided between these two (but am open to other recommendations). I'm leaning more toward the focusrite because i've read that they have better preamps. The downside however is no MIDI ports (which I don't need now..but you never know right?). The audibox seems to be the most popular for it's price and seems like a good product, but apparently it is not meant to be used with line in instruments which seems like kind of a big drawback.
- This is something I also need help with. I'm restricted to my bedroom which is obviously not the best setting (but you gotta work with what you've got). I've read about self made treatment which interests me, and i've also read about optimal positions to put them but this is an area i need help with. I attached a picture of my room to aid anyone willing to help
Miscellaneous: 2-4 XLR cables, one 1/4" cable, ?????
- any small factor I'm missing?
Overall: $580 +/-
- For the price I think the quality I'm getting is pretty good and I believe I have all the basics to get my production going to the next level. Being bound to a computer and midi controller setup for so long I feel like now is an appropriate time to invest in my craft. All input is appreciated and if I'm missing something PLEASE let me know!!
p.s. thanks to the ones who actually read my whole post