My dream is to be a edm producer

soffe

For whole my life, i always dreamed about being able to produce EDM music, but alot of things in my life made me postpone the start of producing edm, now i finally can go all in and produce and produce, the problem is i have problems with creating chords, i dont have any experience about music theorys, i dont know how to play piano, that makes it hard for me to create a melody even if i have it on my mind. So my question is, how do i start? Ive downloaded a free trial of FL Studio 12, what equipment do i need? i have a laptop and headsets, and the DAW. Appreciate all the help/advice i can get.

Peace

There's always more gear to buy haha. I'd spend more time experimenting with FL and becoming really familiar with the program, building drum beats, writing parts for keys and synths, etc. If you feel like you're making a lot of progress and want to invest more time into, the next step would be getting a non-demo version of a DAW. I know the old FL demos wouldn't let you save a project to work on for later. If you really want to make the plunge, spend some time getting comfortable with it and then decide on a DAW to purchase. I'd recommend not going for super expensive equipment or software right off the bat though.

Aside from equipment, I'd recommend starting by getting familiar with the process of writing drum beats in FL. Once you feel like you have the program figured out there, look up some basic chord theory and ideas on Youtube or google and start pairing up your drums with some basic synth chords. After that, write some basic basslines. Once you get the process of inputting notes and rhythms into the DAW all figured out, the next step will be sound design which is going to be one of the more challenging things to learn.

Hi Funk, im really grateful for your reply, so i dont really need music theory to create edm music, what i mean is example mastering a piano or know how to play a piano. I could just go ahead and experiment ?

Learn and experiment. All you need is some good musical content, a bit of luck and motivation to push yourself.

Of course you need a keyboard too.

You need to study music by closely listening to songs.

Write down what instruments are in an EDM song - kick, snare, synths, etc.
How do they sound? What type of kick is used, snare, synths
What role do they play in the song? For example what patterns do EDM kicks play, what pattern options do snares play.
Then listen to melodies. Single melodies and multiple. What are other EDM songs doing with their melodies.
Then you have to listen to effects and panning of each instrument.

Anyone who is great, it took them at least a few years to figure that out, then it takes time to learn how to mix, and then master.

Music production is what you put into it. But you have to be willing to learn and work hard for many years if you want to be great. To be decent, you can cut and past other EDM loops and learn that in a few weeks.

I wish you the very best with your music career!

For whole my life, i always dreamed about being able to produce EDM music, but alot of things in my life made me postpone the start of producing edm, now i finally can go all in and produce and produce, the problem is i have problems with creating chords, i dont have any experience about music theorys, i dont know how to play piano, that makes it hard for me to create a melody even if i have it on my mind. So my question is, how do i start? Ive downloaded a free trial of FL Studio 12, what equipment do i need? i have a laptop and headsets, and the DAW. Appreciate all the help/advice i can get.

Peace

I come from a classical music background as a French horn player, so I know a bit about music theory (although I am not a music major). I'm a beginning audio producer and I will say that outside of learning your DAW and familiarizing yourself with its ins and outs, I suggest that you put at least some time in learning music theory through music theory tutorials, learning how to subdivide, scales, and so forth. But even if you don't do that, the most important thing to know is that the melody starts and ends in your mind. Good luck.

KP

Last edited:
Back