My beat sound extrememly different in other phones... why?

BVBitz

(sorry for my English. it's not my first language)
After I finished one beat that sounds the way I like with the speakers and with the headphones I tried with a pair of these common iPod phones and the beat sounded terrible. I know that these kind of phones don't have the range of a nice speaker ou expensive headphones, but I thought that just the bass would be affected (the 808s were completely gone), not the snares, hihats etc

What can I do to at least reduce the disparity between the sound I want in my beats and the way it sounds at cheaper phones (since many people probably will hear my beats with one of them)?

the problem probably lies in what you are using to reference your sound to whilst mixing; unless you have spent several thousands of dollars on your monitoring setup it may be less than optimal (flat) in it's frequency response/reproduction ability

To compensate for this lack of flatness, you should use a reference track (a song that is similar in style/sound quality to what you are trying to sound like) to help you make mix decisions that end having your track sounding similar to the reference (not exact, but similar)

This. You probably made the beat on headphones/speakers not designed for monitoring and don't have very good freq. response. For example, maybe the bass lacks on the speakers so you turn it up and then you play it in the car, and bam, overpowering bass.

If you can't afford monitors then go for some studio headphones and some reference speakers/headphones so you know it sounds OK on different mediums.

Before I bought monitors I used to make my beats on my SRH440s (studio headphones), then give it a listen in my car, in Bose speakers, and $15 Panasonic earbuds and adjusted my mixes accordingly.

Back