Music Production is Anti-Social

BTMM

Born To Make Music
So after taking music production seriously, I'm finding it REALLY HARD to balance my social life.

Basically I have none.

Here is how my day goes.

Weekday

1. Work from 9-5 (I manage to squeeze gym time in this since I work from home)
2. Take a little bit of a break (1-2 hours)
3. Produce music for like 2 hours or so, take a break (15-30), produce for another 1 or so.
4. Go for a walk with the lady for like 10 to 15 minutes max (3 times a week max).
4. Pass out.

Weekend

1. Wakeup around 9am.
2. Eat and Chill.
3. 11am start producing.
4. Produce till 4 pm (Taking breaks as well like 15-20 minutes long. 2 or 3 total).
5. Watch a movie. Netflix / Shomi
6. Produce more (2 hours or so).
7. Watch some TV
8. Pass out

Sometimes I go to a buddy's place and we drink and talk about goofy shit but that usually happens like once a month.

We get high and super drunk and it's pretty funny. I prefer to keep this just once a month (Next day it does effect my production so once a month is enough).

In addition, maybe once or twice a month, the lady and I do go for dinner as well (Trying to avoid these cuz I'm getting kind of fat).

Now by social life, I don't want to get shit faced or anything but just like a little balanced.

Maybe like a side chick or something (Please don't judge me. I just happen to have a high sex drive).

Any suggestions?

Do you find music production lonely?

Dan Pena, a really successful entrepreneur said there is no such thing as work / life balance when you're trying to be successful.

No such thing at all.

On the positive side, my music is f'n improving like a mofo :) - Is anti-social part of producing music (Especially until someone else starts finding value $$$ in your work?).

I LOVE THE TIME THAT I PUT IN WHILE PRODUCING, but after . . . I wouldn't mind having some fun social time.

Or is this the 'sacrifice' that people keep talking about.

Has anyone been through this road?

Well it comes down to this and only this:

You either like producing or you don't. Some people can balance that with being social, good for them and if you can then probably do for sure.
Depends on what type of person you are as well, if the anti-social thing fits you which it seems like it doesn't based off of your post.

Hmm

Well it comes down to this and only this:

You either like producing or you don't. Some people can balance that with being social, good for them and if you can then probably do for sure.
Depends on what type of person you are as well, if the anti-social thing fits you which it seems like it doesn't based off of your post.

Yeah I guess at this stage, since I'm somewhat of an intermediate, I guess that's just the price to pay to hone your craft.

Once I get to a stage where my music is actually being bought (Commercials, instrumentals, placements, replaces my 9-5 etc), I think I can then balance stuff out. I LOVE producing but yeah like I said, after I'm done producing, it would be nice to do something besides just staring at the tv or the computer screen. I recently incorporated going to the gym which seems to be nice. An improvement for sure.

You know what, I'm actually very grateful at my current situation :) If lack of social life is the price to pay then so be it :)

Thx for your reply!

I usually have huge spurts of inspiration all in a row to the point I'll be spending 16 hrs straight on projects and then I'll have to lay off and have a rest for a week or two.

I've found I kind of do this naturally but inbetween on the week off I'll still be in front of my PC organizing my samples, renaming shit, making backups and cleaning up any general laziness on the projects whilst in the middle of a creative burst, You know all the shit when you say to your self I'll fix that up later etc...

As as far as the anti social part goes for yeah I agree with you as where I am from not many people I know, friends etc.. support what I do, they think it's boring and would rather drink and smoke and watch footy.

I would love to have a production session with a bunch of other producers, I've seen others sessions on video and it looks fun, it would be great but there isn't many producers around here that I know. If there is they are into country music!

I guess I never get lonely whilst I'm making my music though, I'm always trying to get my takes inbetween my kids running riot pushing all my keys and twanging my guitars and clicking my mouse everywhere. Lol it's hard work having to time it right hahaha

Sometimes I go for weeks without even going anywhere near my setup. I find every time I do this I find my music gets better and better!

Last edited:
I be on reddit and twitch alot in the music/creative sections whenever I'm chillin and usually make a lil something something every now and then if in the mood to myself if not crazy tired.
Sometimes, even when crazy tired. basically the same thing as gaming.

I go out to the bars every week just to get some interaction with people. I usually go alone though, but always run into somebody I know. I think a balance is important but You have to put quality work in when you're working on a project. I also exercise rigorously as well, and attend my last semester of college.

I think it's okay to get a little more socialization in. Do you produce with other people, or by yourself? I mean, having a team is always helpful and serves as both work and socialization. If you don't like the haze of waking up hungover, then maybe find another way to socialize. haha, socializing doesn't have to be going out or friends houses and getting f*cked up.

Last edited:
I love that producing is primarily anti social. I'm an introvert and love my alone time so it fits my personality. I do get together with another local bedroom producer once a week to collab which is always fun!

Agree 100%. Writing and producing is a passion and obsession for me and I can live in my studio without human contact for most of the winter. It is HORRIBLE for my social life as I will forget to call people and worse yet never actually go out for literally weeks or months on end.

The upside of this is that I get lots done. in 2016 I wrote about 20 songs in March- mid May. I got so deeply into a groove where the music was really flowing and I was getting super creative and experimental.

I have just come to terms with it. My wife won't leave her family in NJ, so if I am going to be forced to live somewhere where there is winter then fuck it, I will avoid the snow and cold by hibernating in my studio and writing the best music I possibly can. I came up with an album this year that I am very happy with and feel like I can do at least an album a year just during the winter.

I'd say "you aren't alone" ... but, perhaps you are, so instead lets say you aren't the only one. But in place of a relationship with people during that time you are creating and personally I feel a deep connection to my music, it can uplift my moods, drive me crazy, make me happy, proud, excited, it gives me drive and focus and inspiration, so in that way it is like a relationship in a strange way.

Although I am an extreme introvert, music production, as well as other music-related activities, has been one of the more sociable aspects of my life. Music production is only an anti-social experience if one chooses it to be.

Last edited:
This is a large part why I ultimately stopped. Having kids did it too. I was in the crates rather than watching them grow up.

Nice responses here - Thx for sharing everyone and giving an insight on how music production is playing a role in your life.

UPDATE:

I started dedicating time to my social life on a daily basis but more importantly, I've learned that I need to manage my time properly.

Like produce for a certain amount of time, work out at a certain time, like create good habits.

This also includes time for social life.

So far, things are way better then when I started this thread (I was SERIOUSLY getting depressed).

I think it's about balance and if you really want it, you'll find a way.

I guess for me, I really like my alone time so producing is a fun, relaxing thing for me. I think its not to difficult to balance both if you can keep ties with the people you have come across with in life. I feel like people tend to get wrapped up in certain things and create distance between their friends and people they like to socialize with. For me I always make sure to check up on people and see how there doing, which keeps you in the loop with them still.

I think everyone who gets deep into production goes through it.

Its totally understandable.

Audio Production requires focus and concentration at times so the solitude is necessary.

On the other side I think once most cats get past "the honeymoon stage" they are able to come up for air every now and then. :)

Just make time for life and you'll be alright.

Peace ~

youll go through a phase of mad producing but after a while it eases off and youll only do it when youre in the mood to. used to have FL open 4-5 days a week but now i only make a track once every 2-3 months or spend a few hours on an idea before coming back to it weeks later.
nowadays i prefer to head out and meet friends instead. people still ask me about producing the odd time but i prefer not to talk about it because sometimes it feels like speaking chinese to them by the look on their face :D

Back