Music production

conorvincent

i keep hitting wall, where i can go further in learning new things and improving. i have made 5 tracks and they all sound as crap as the previous one and i basically need help on how to basically be a good learner. i do this in my free time and youtube is my teacher haha. i 'try' to produce progessive house like you would hear from matisse and sadko or dubvision. what i am wondering is how you progressed in music productions and any tips or advice about getting better at every aspect of producing would be amazing for me. thanks in advance!!

Keep doing what you're doing - 5 tracks is an afternoon to some people.

You are very much still at the beginning.

if after 1000 (or even 500) hours you've made little improvement I'll be very surprised.

I learn something new and improve with every creation. Some are huge hurdles, others are baby steps, but it's all helped get me where I am today.

plateaus are normal in production - they are times where you are assimilating recently learned ideas into your production techniques; i.e. your practice is catching up to your learning

I've read somwhere that it takes roughly ten thousand hours of practice to achieve mastery in a field. How many hour have You spant on these 5 songs? 10 hours? 20? Well, it's only 9980 hours to go! :)

24 hours to master the skill/technique/concept, 10000 hours to assimilate into an unthinking action; so as noted above, your practice (what you do in the studio) is catching up with your learning (what you read and hear to increase your skillz)

In the end we're all still learning. i myself started producing in 2014 and sometimes i feel like you. What is making you upset is going to be your motivation in the end. Always ask yourself if what you made is the best you can do. Listen a lot, pay attention to the details but don't overdo them. Electronic Music is different on the details of course but in the end you kinda follow a "structure"

Once you structure your song in your mind, break the concepts down, but always thinking in front. Even though you made a "crappy melody" try to imagine the "real record mastered" version of it, and then start going after that record.

It's all very subjective, i'm not sure if i'm the right one to give you an advice since i'm a beginner as well, but somethings i focus

- Music Theory, so i can get better on composing
- Understanding the "general structure" of a Progressive House Song, by listening to a LOT of different songs in this genre, and asking "What i Like about this track? Is this Synth? So i'm going to look for a tutorial on how to make a similar one"
- And after you arrange your song. Improve the quality of it, by making some better samples (kicks, snares, claps) and learning the "post-production" of them (Compressing, EQing, panning, reverb and delay) but always thinking on the record. After all that you go for the master. It's probably a long way to get it here but you will, believe in yourself, always

And to finish, train your ears and produce a lot, don't give up!

Cheers and sorry for long post

Lucas

Back