Music producer interview. I need your help

jesusapul

Hello guys! Is there any music producer, who could help me with an interview? This is for my college, as a research project. I've got questions, if anyone is free and happy to answer, I'll send it to you. Thank you in advance!:o

Last edited:
Thank you!

Hi, I just started producing music in Scotland and I would be happy to help you:)
Thank you, Moe Fayez!

I'm typing the questions right here, please feel free to answer and thanks again!
=======

Beginning : Please, tell me about yourself briefly, your career, how did you start? Also about what are your future plans?

1) What is your cultural background?
2) Was the cultural background effected the way you produce your music?
3) Do you like underground and commercial music? What's your preference?
4) Does underground music give you more freedom as a music producer?

5) If the people were in a poorer society, do they use music to change their lifestyle and get out of poverty?
6)Have you ever noticed and genre correlation between rich and poor backgrounds? If yes, please, tell me more about it.
7) How do you think, is it harder nowadays for women to dominate in music industry and why?

8) Do you think that the Copyright has the influence on music creation, for example on Soundcloud, YouTube, spotify? Does it affect the music production?
9) How has the Copyright law prevented musicians from copying works of the past and present? 

10) As a music producer do you take into account Copyright Law when you create music? 

11) Has the development of DAW systems changed the music creation for you?
12) How has the use of technology created new job opportunities in the industry? 

13) How do you think, what new technology could affect or influence on your career?

14) How the most of producers make money nowadays?
15) How has the internet allowed people to release their music without signing deals with major labels?
16) Do you use any of newest business models in music industry (for example, streaming, download sites) What advantages and disadvantages of it?

17) Does the global market affect your career?
18) Do you think the globalization helps to produce some cultural music or its just helping commercial market to dominate further?

Can 2 people answer 'em? I'll give it a shot later tonight. Do I post a my responses here or do you want a private message?

Last edited:
Yes, of course you can answer for these questions as well. I'm still interested to make a nice interview so whenever you are ready, feel free to text me (up to you which is the best way for you to respond) I'was checking your soundcloud btw, nice tracks!

okay ill do it in a an hour or so. sorry for the delay. ...and thank you. :) I just got new shirts on my website. ;) but ill get these answers over in a little bit (i just woke up so i don't really know where I am yet...)

Last edited:
Beginning : Please, tell me about yourself briefly, your career, how did you start? Also about what are your future plans?

My name is Epsilon-144. I've been making electronic music for around 6 years now, with a few fairly successful tunes. I'm always looking to improve so the growth will continue. My songs have collected around 75,000 views with new fans joining everyday. I also teach lessons on youtube and really enjoy helping new producers grow and expand their craft. Those videos are brand new and are approaching 10,000 views so it's exciting.

I started producing music in high school, but have been playing instruments since 3rd/4th grade. My future plans are to keep pushing forward. I want to grow my lessons and continue to make new connections in music industry. When it's all said and done, I want to impact the world positively through music.

1) What is your cultural background?

I'm a 4th generation American. I have a very high respect for freedom and equality.

2) Was the cultural background effected the way you produce your music?

No, I don't think so. I know other Americans who make Psychedelic Rock, Hip Hop, Reggae, Brostep, ..you name it. American music is all over the board. (I haven't personally met a country artist though, that's the one "American" genre I haven't gotten to know anybody in)

3) Do you like underground and commercial music? What's your preference?

I prefer underground because it sounds real. Commercial music has been pimped and whored too much. It loses it's special touch. Underground music is also much more unique. It doesn't conform to the popular fads. it stays true to the loyal fans who truly appreciate it.

4) Does underground music give you more freedom as a music producer?

Yes, like I just said. Underground music doesn't have to conform to anything. The day an executive tells me I have to make a song sound like something popular is the day I tell that executive to go find a new artist.

5) If the people were in a poorer society, do they use music to change their lifestyle and get out of poverty?

I have no idea. ...but I hope they make music because they love to make music.

6)Have you ever noticed and genre correlation between rich and poor backgrounds? If yes, please, tell me more about it.

There are rich people who listen to Mozart and rich people who listen to rap. Likewise, there are poor people who listen to Mozart and poor people who listen to rap. Trying to make connections like that is kind of pointless.

7) How do you think, is it harder nowadays for women to dominate in music industry and why?

No, anybody trying to reach success (in anything) has to put in the work. If they, regardless of gender, put in the work they'll get the reward. (I'm listening to a very talented female vocalist while I write this)

8) Do you think that the Copyright has the influence on music creation, for example on Soundcloud, YouTube, spotify? Does it affect the music production?

Not sure what you're asking here? ...Copyrights protect your song from commercial thievery. You can lease, or sell the copyright though, and people pay good money for that.

9) How has the Copyright law prevented musicians from copying works of the past and present? 

People can't sell music that has another musicians work within in (i.e., samples). This is particularly important and watched for in licensing for TV/Film.

10) As a music producer do you take into account Copyright Law when you create music? 

Yes, of course. I don't want to risk losing everything I've worked for. I knew people on Soundcloud and youtube who had all of their work removed because they insisted on sampling. It's not worth it. It's much much better to learn how to write your own music.

11) Has the development of DAW systems changed the music creation for you?

I grew up with it so no it hasn't affected me personally. It's an integral part of the production process.

12) How has the use of technology created new job opportunities in the industry? 

It's much easier to connect and interact with fans and clients online. This has allowed me to sell music, lease songs, sell stem packages, and grow my fan base. The internet is very important in today's music industry.

13) How do you think, what new technology could affect or influence on your career?

A streaming service that has a nice and simple monetization system that isn't too expensive for fans will be really nice. That would help a lot.

14) How the most of producers make money nowadays?

TV/film most likely, with selling and leasing songs/beats at a close second, and streaming services/ad revenue in third. Fans don't pay anything for music anymore. They're too accustomed to getting all of their music free that even asking for $0.99 is too much for them. You can also sell cool unique merchandise like shirts, skateboards, iphone cases, etc.

15) How has the internet allowed people to release their music without signing deals with major labels?

Well before the internet, how were producers going to get their music out into the marketplace? Without a big label passing it own to their fanbase and subscribers, it was nearly impossible. The internet at least lets producers bring their songs to the table. How the songs preform is dependent on how hard they work. But ya today it's weird, you can be a successful "indie" artist.

16) Do you use any of newest business models in music industry (for example, streaming, download sites) What advantages and disadvantages of it?

The streaming is the future. More money is made through streaming than through selling physical and digital copies combined. Sales from physical copies are dropping fast and digital sales aren't doing too hot either. it's all in streaming now. Like i said earlier, getting a good monetization system running on streaming service is critical for our industry.

17) Does the global market affect your career?

Ya, sure. A city in Argentina was my highest listening city 2 weeks ago. This week it's Brooklyn, New York. ...and overall for me personally, the city with the most fans is Paris, France. The global community is very important. People can tune in from anywhere in the world.

18) Do you think the globalization helps to produce some cultural music or its just helping commercial market to dominate further?

...I think a universal sound is starting to form within the electronic scene, but cultural music from it's country of origin is always nice. Hearing a song with cultural significance to it's particular country is a very special thing.

Last edited:
Thank you, Epsilon-144 ! I really appreciate your help and I'm glad it went the good way! Also, thank you for your time :o I'll follow you on soundcloud today (mine is empty at the moment, but I'll start to download my tracks as well) Let's keep in touch and have a nice day! JP

Back