Music Is Not All About Talent These Days

Platinum Vocals

It seems so many new artist are popping up and gaining major success but do they really have skills? Many years ago when rappers and singers would step up they at least had to have talent to get a deal but today I think many other factors play a major role in their success. I am a female singer, writer, rapper and producer. I am aware that every hot song has to have a tight hook. I have been told I am excellent at creating hooks and hooks are what carries a good song. When you hear a song what really stands out? Is it the performance or do you instantly remember and find yourself reciting the hook? I would say the hook says it all. I don't know what the future holds for music. Todays music is all about trends but I choose to stay true to the essence of my originality. Peace.

It seems so many new artist are popping up and gaining major success but do they really have skills? Many years ago when rappers and singers would step up they at least had to have talent to get a deal but today I think many other factors play a major role in their success. I am a female singer, writer, rapper and producer. I am aware that every hot song has to have a tight hook. I have been told I am excellent at creating hooks and hooks are what carries a good song. When you hear a song what really stands out? Is it the performance or do you instantly remember and find yourself reciting the hook? I would say the hook says it all. I don't know what the future holds for music. Todays music is all about trends but I choose to stay true to the essence of my originality. Peace.
You should just write songs for other people. You can make more money writing songs for others to perform than most rappers or singers can make. It is all about making money in the end.

Last edited:
That's the problem with the industry

That is the reality of this industry.

There is nothing you can do to change it. Make money for the people above you and you will be okay. Once you stop making money for the label or other people above you, you are done. Your talent and hard work are nothing. You will be relpaced by someone else.

There is nothing you can do to change it. Make money for the people above you and you will be okay. Once you stop making money for the label or other people above you, you are done. Your talent and hard work are nothing. You will be relpaced by someone else.

If you wanna be a sheep and continue the trend.

What is "talent"? I made a career out of being "good at what I do". I don't know what that means, but I translate it to "producers" being "better' than me, but not being able to provide the "full package" I could. I guess these young cats got what i had times 10, cause they better at getting it than i was.

Dudes who use words like "talent" to separate themselves from what's hittin' don't use words like "check" when they go to the bank.

You should just write songs for other people. You can make more money writing songs for others to perform than most rappers or singers can make. It is all about making money in the end.

I agree writing songs can be very lucrative if you are writing for an established artist because you can rely on royalties which in most cases can bring more money than the actual artist performing the song. Although I have a hand in it all. I write, sing, rap and produce. I would love to land a publishing deal strictly writing for well established artist. Wishful thinking. : ) Peace.

Music is about how it sounds these days... how it feels ... it don't matter if you rap fast or anything.. topic doesn't really matter. it's about how it sounds to the listener.. and has to be something a lil different then the rest..

Music is about how it sounds these days... how it feels ... it don't matter if you rap fast or anything.. topic doesn't really matter. it's about how it sounds to the listener.. and has to be something a lil different then the rest..

I agree its all about how it sounds these days. It is also good to add a lil extra to make you stand out from the rest. To many rappers and other artist sound the same.

If you wanna be a sheep and continue the trend.

That is a copout from people not willing to put in the work to be successful. Everybody else is a sheep except for them. Well if you are not a sheep, are you a shepherd? A wolf? What are you going to do about "the trend"? Come on. Either participate and make things better or do something else. People act as if they are owed a chance in the music business because they are different. That is not reality.

That is a copout from people not willing to put in the work to be successful. Everybody else is a sheep except for them. Well if you are not a sheep, are you a shepherd? A wolf? What are you going to do about "the trend"? Come on. Either participate and make things better or do something else. People act as if they are owed a chance in the music business because they are different. That is not reality.

I'm not owed anything, I just have a mind of my own and a team and we're trying to do our own thing. We're not so desperate for fame/stardom that we're gonna follow what's popular and hope something hits. We're trying to be creative and create something new, with our own business plan.

If you wanna just do the same shit as everybody else and just hope you get lucky go right ahead. But that's not my mentality, I'm not looking for a quick high, I'm building a brand.

Once again, people refuse to see beyond their own egos and miss the point entirely.

The point I believe Desire was making was that its better to change the trend than be an alternative to it. Being the alternative to something is easy....tooo easy. I don't like mainstream rap, so I make boring ass shit no one wants to listen to. I complain about the sound of current rnb-but I make some completely esoteric shit no one wants to listen to. See what I am getting at? Anyone can be different, very few have "successful" careers being different. Lets be real here, if "success" isn't apart of your gameplan, then you are a hobbyist. No shame in that, but you got people with this hobbyist mentality that think being the alternative is noble.
You wanna make music better-change the trend, don't simply be an "alternative" to it, if you are meaning on making music a serious, sustainable career.

Last edited:
I'm not owed anything, I just have a mind of my own and a team and we're trying to do our own thing. We're not so desperate for fame/stardom that we're gonna follow what's popular and hope something hits. We're trying to be creative and create something new, with our own business plan.

If you wanna just do the same shit as everybody else and just hope you get lucky go right ahead. But that's not my mentality, I'm not looking for a quick high, I'm building a brand.

That is awesome.

Your attitude is palpable in your music. Just sayin...

This might sound crazy and all, but what if music is meant to be fun :O
I understand if it's your job to be that serious platinum but y'all seem to forget the part where it's suppoed to be enjoyable to do lol.

Do what you love. However, if you have morals in real life, why not have them in your music? Yeah, darker, more-shallow music is what's popping these days and has been popping, in music and entertainment in general. A lot of music feels like it's more about being ratchet and careless than inspiring and uplifting. I believe that, and I'll stick to that belief in my music, regardless of whether that's the trendy route or not.

That's just how the world we live in is. You can either complain about it, or stick to your guns and make music that makes a difference.

Back