mixing like a pro

BlazinPhoenix

I use FL studio and I'm willing to use anything else also. I've been mixing everything inside FL studio with eq, compressor, etc. Is there a better way to mix beats to pro quality? If I have to use amother program to get that quality, is there any free program that'll get the job done? Are there any comprehensive tutorials avaliable that'll teach better mixing?

Thanks for any feedback

It takes years of experience and has nothing to do with the DAW. A pro mixer could swap his studio with you and out do you on an iPad.

It takes 10,000 hours of doing something to master it - which roughly works out to 3 hours a day, every day, for 10 years, straight.

Mixing is an art form. You don't ever read posts on art sites asking "which brush should I use to paint like Picasso?"

Last edited:
however, you might read 'how do I duplicate the brush strokes made by Picasso in "Guernica"?' to which you might receive the following search result

Week 3: Picasso's Guernica

but I do agree that this (mixing), just like painting or any other craft and art, is about long term acquisition of skills and knowledge that is then applied to make the resulting new work better

my current degree of craft is well and truly past the 10k hours but I am still learning and applying new ideas all the time, if only because technology keeps jumping forward in leaps and bounds

I use FL studio and I'm willing to use anything else also. I've been mixing everything inside FL studio with eq, compressor, etc. Is there a better way to mix beats to pro quality? If I have to use amother program to get that quality, is there any free program that'll get the job done? Are there any comprehensive tutorials avaliable that'll teach better mixing?

Thanks for any feedback

just use a program that is more user friendly to you. You know shortcuts and stuff.

it doesn't matter what program you're using all programs sound the same.

Focus on getting as good sounding sources as possible and learn how to EQ, Compress correctly.

Then move on to reverbs and delays.

But please focus on the sources since they will deliver the 80% of the final sound.

Thanks everyone.

I've been making beats in FL studio and then exporting to Pro Tools to finish the mix. I'll check out the recording revolutions tutorials on youtube. That sounds like what I need. I feel like i'm decent at mixing, but I'm still having trouble doing everything correctly. It's hard to find tutorials that relate to exactly what i'm trying to do. I find simple tutorials that tell me simple stuff I already know. Then I find expert tutorials that use terminology and tools I can barely comprehend and don't know if it's even relevant. I've finished about 4 beats and mixed them to the best of my ability. If I post them on here can someone tell me what the mix/composition is missing? Or should I post that in a different forum?

They are all on my soundcloud: soundcloud.com DASH blazin-phoenix-1 (I'm not allowed to post links yet. DASH is supposed to be / without spaces)

Last edited:
Back