a Midi Controller for a Beginner

Karsn

As a person who never learned to play an intrument, but started working in Ableton Live 3.5 weeks ago, im wondering what
kinda midi controller to get.
Before i started with Live i didn't have any experience with making electronic musik on a pc, or any kind of music really. But i've always loved listening to music and a lot of different artists and genres.
I guess that's what drove me to try out Live. And i think it's fantastic. Can't get of my pc at night, and creating new beats
is the first thing i think of in the morning.
As for the midi controller, it's important that its and instrument that i can practice with, and not just a bunch of knobs to play around with.
I really, really want to improve my musical skills. Like learning how to play a piano/keyboard. That would help me a lot. I could do that with
the Akai max49, but i've also seen how you can turn the Ableton Push into a piano thing (and so much more).
Both devices looks very compelling.
I hope someone can help me with some advice.
What are the benefit/cons of each?

Sorry if my english is weird. I don't use it so often.

Last edited:
Practice playing the piano first... a piano/keyboard with more than 49 keys so u can get used to the octaves

The Push is so appealing. Sadly I don't use Ableton, or else I'd be all over that controller!

This is a very good question. I have neither of these controllers, but it seems like you answered your own question. If you want to learn how to play piano, you should get the controller that has the keyboard. Playing buttons is much different than playing piano keys. Between your 2 choices, I would go with the max49 because you have more options. There are many tutorials on youtube discussing piano for beginners and I even show how to make a keyboard bassline on my youtube page if you are interested.

Back