Melodyne help?

TDOT

Would you say melodyne is 100% of the time accurate...
I don't mean in terms of analyzing a full song or even a few bars.

For example an 808 kick, I want to know what key the 808 kick is in to be able to fine tune it to be in key with the rest of my track.

I just got meloydne and understand that when I drage a WAV file into the program it will automatically place the sound in like with the correct key.

When I drag the WAV file of my one sound (just the kick) and it places it in line with a particular note...would you say it's usually accurate?
Maybe I need to play with the setting? It seems a bit much at first

Any help or tips even is appreciated

Your best bet is to drop the 808 into a sampler and play it an octave or two higher to your beat so you know it's in tune and then drop it back down once you sequence your pattern.

Another thing you can do is create a sine wave in the key of C and then drop that in a sampler and you can adjust the release and other parameters to your liking and then just play what you want on your beat and it will be in key, just make sure you tell your sampler that the sample is in the key of C. Hope that helps.

Melodyne is not always accurate and unless it's a clear melodic tone (voice, string, etc) there is a chance it is not going to guess accurately, so you can check the note manually with a keyboard and adjust it accordingly

Your best bet is to drop the 808 into a sampler and play it an octave or two higher to your beat so you know it's in tune and then drop it back down once you sequence your pattern.

Another thing you can do is create a sine wave in the key of C and then drop that in a sampler and you can adjust the release and other parameters to your liking and then just play what you want on your beat and it will be in key, just make sure you tell your sampler that the sample is in the key of C. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply,

For your first point, I don't quite understand, do you mean to just play around with the 808 bass at a higher octave because it is easier to make out the pitch? or what is the technique behind that.

Your 2nd point, seems more geared towards sound design, so I'm a bit lost. If you can just elaborate on the first point that would be ill.

Hey man just some thoughts here

I would recommend not using melodyne to change the pitch of ur kick. Use melodyne to find out what note it is, then fine tune the original kick sound in the vst or sample then adjust the sample directly or the vst directly.

You will get a touch of quality loss as melodyne uses special algorythms to adjust pitch without affecting duration - hence why if you can do it directly with the vst or sample then I think you will get a better result.

^^^ That's exactly what I'm looking to do, I just want to use Melodyne to determine the key of the sample (kick, snare) and then adjust the pitch in my DAW or VST.

Back