Melodies

When I have trouble with making my melodies, I usually listen to the beat on repeat or sing out randomly. If you want to go extreme you can always listen to other peoples raps and get a little inspiration. But don't copy, especially if its a record that you are considering putting out.

You sing out as you make the beat? & i mean like producing a track, like making a melody for a song that goes throughout the whole beat, i may be using the wrong term

I got confused. When you said making melodies for rap beats, I thought you meant melodies for the song to the beat LOL. But no, the way I approach making a melody for a rap beat is to usually just start tapping out random drum patterns and something ends up actually working. Or I listen to whats in trend, if I'm thinking about making a one hit lol, and go with that type of feel or groove. Most times I just wing it, though. But that's just me, everyone is different...

When I have trouble with making my melodies, I usually listen to the beat on repeat or sing out randomly. If you want to go extreme you can always listen to other peoples raps and get a little inspiration. But don't copy, especially if its a record that you are considering putting out.
That is an excellent suggestion, peaceforeber.
What I do is build a bassline from a chord progression and then experiment with arpeggios or sing short 8th note phrases to find something that works. Other times, I have something already in my head and I use the two twchniques above to flesh it out over a beat.
Melodies aren't hard-if you can hear, you can sing-if you can sing it, you can play it.

Last edited:
If all hope is gone, learn music theory, lol.
I personally go to my piano to make some melodies.

the mouse or overdubbing, big musical shortcuts. but drumpads...eh piano k7ng for melodies but drumpads king f5r percussion

I usually find a dope sample or preset and that will inspire me....sometimes it takes hours sometimes it take minutes but you'll know when you find it and just build around it

sometimes i make melodies by just jamming over a basic beat while other times i work around a chord progression, depends on song and what im using at the time

So to add onto this.

What do you sample based producers do? That's one of my flaws, finding other melodies to go with my samples.

I add my synths to samples and drum over them that's it lol, might add a few effects and equalize too.
Used to have a bad habit of just chopping random parts of a sample for the sake of chopping for a long time.
Although that's still fun to chop in random places but I try to keep that under control.

That was funny. Depends on preference. Melody before drummin just works best for me although sometimes I like to do drums first. I do not like metronomes either.
I don't get a vibe from metronomes. As far as I'm concerned the drum tracks I make are the metronome for my synths and samples.

There will never be one "it has to be done this way or else it won't work" methods in trackmaking and synthesis.

Welll Yeah obviously there is no set way. But The the way I'm doing it, is causing me to try and make to much of my samples, not allowing space for melodies.

Back