Is it me or does it seem better to make beats at night?

RaySwift

For some reason I lose all creativity when I make beats during the day but once that sun drops, I be coming up with some cool stuff in a dim lit room.

Whats the deal? lol

Artist are known to be nocturnal. I have no motivation during the day to work on shit, unless I wake up super early. I usually work on music from like 9pm till 4-5am.

Hahaha yea I really does seem like it huh? I guess it has something to do with the serenity as well as it's the time when there are a lot less distractions from the outside world. Coffee anyone? :berzerk:

Before I lived with (now) wifey all my music making was done at night...
Before the baby... In the evenings...
Now... Occasional evening but mostly Saturday and Sunday daytimes...

I have a lot less time than I did and my output has decreased in quantity but increased in quality... I now utilise the time I have in much more effective ways (basically I don't have the time to dick around)

Every single one of my university compositions, mixdowns etc were all done at night haha, I definitely think that it's the way to go.

Sadly with neighbors and a job, night time production is a rarity these days.

Any tips for balancing? ;)

Nope, It's defiantly not just you. I went sleep at like 6am this morning I believe. I can't do anything during the day - too many distractions.

I like working at night because people aren't knocking on my door bothering me. Phone isn't ringing. And there isn't tons of background noise from traffic and people in my apartment complex. After a few hours with it like that, I can do the technical musical stuff pretty peacefully and then get into the mood for composing. But I gotta put my headphones on so I don't bother anybody. But then the next day or whatever I clear up the sound for speakers.

There seems to be a psychological reason for this. I can't share a link because I'm new to the forum, but basically being creativity has more to do with your circadian rhythm, or your energy/sleep cycle. If you're more tired during the day, chances are you'll be more creative in the day rather than nighttime. As for the creativity itself, you're less like to care about being perfect because you're in such an exhausted state. Hence why we go ham at night.

Artist are known to be nocturnal. I have no motivation during the day to work on shit, unless I wake up super early. I usually work on music from like 9pm till 4-5am.
Man, I really miss these days. I used to have blackout blinds in my room when I lived with my parents. I'd start making a beat at 9/10PM and then I'd hear birds up on the roof (my room was in the attic)...I'd pull back those blinds and get blinded by the sunlight where I'd been up so long!

I'd have a shower, eat some breakfast, listen to my beat one more time then get some sleep.

Those were the dayssssss.

Never made a good piece of music during daytime. But as the Sun drops there is just so much sudden energy, inspiration and the calming atmosphere that makes me want to do stuff.

Back