Matching Beats to Vocals

Drew_Porter

Hi!

I just joined this forum since I am currently working on a project. I would like to find the answer on my own, but I have no idea where to start.

Ok so my friend is producing beats for my rap, and I want to know what I want in a beat. I am willing to read any material that you all recommend to understand the concept. Basically, the emotion of the rap changes throughout the song (there are parts where it is slow and relaxed and parts where it is fast paced and fierce). In beat construction I was wondering how I should change the beat based on these changes in emotion.

For example, when would I drop certain instruments and when would I have everything playing?

Thank you!

Build throughout the tune your message to the listeners. Start by building energy (adding instruments or the fast paced part) and reaching the climax and then returning to starting point. But there isn't a certain rule in songwriting, if it's a rap start with basic drums, add your lyrics and then try to make it different (adding synths, strings, stabs, playing with the tempo) but you must talk to your friend, and listening to other rap tunes you like, and asking yourself what do you really like about this song, and "do i want this for my song"?

Best of luck

Lucas

If my comprehension is right, you're talking about changing tempo throughout the song? If so, what DAW are you using to record?

Back