Making Trap Melodies

How do you guys make trap melodies? I seem to struggle with it. Do you start with chords then add the melodies on top?

Some say minor chords are best for trap. I say it depends on the mood. Party Trap or Dark Trap. Play with some scales and the chords within. Check out the 100,000 YouTube videos on making trap with whatever your choice of DAW.

Honestly, all you have to do is get some deep bass or a nice synth, trap music isn't really complex melody wise. It's only hard trying to not to sound like your copying someone else's sound.

Honestly, all you have to do is get some deep bass or a nice synth, trap music isn't really complex melody wise. It's only hard trying to not to sound like your copying someone else's sound.

You're absolutely right. Why learn how to do something, when you can just dl some sound packs? Gonna delete my answer.

A sampler/synthesizer/ drumpad/midi keyboard user here but melodic issues can be solved by learning how to use at least one melodic instrument.
If of course not just a mouser. Other than that it's basically just about what melody you hear in your head.[When it comes to riffs]

But there's chord formulas
Scales
Have yet to memorize more than 2 chords by heart myself but chord progressions too.
Sheet music is beneficial to learn, but also optional since it and the piano roll are two sides of the same thing.

I also noticed that if you know some scales by heart you can mix and match black and white keys easier, odd...

YT video's will only confuse you,, everyone has their own style,, so its difficult to decide whose style to follow. Just don't... Minor & Diminished chords are for Trap beats,, but other than that,, find 4/3 notes you like that sounds good together,, play with it & lay it out the way you think sounds best,, use the same notes in a different range of the beat & play with it till you feel it sounds right,, slap some 808's on it,, a hard hittin' kick,, snare & add thin hi-hats. There you have a Trap beat

Listen and listen again and again tracks with melody you like and find the spec. to create your own ;)

It depends what kind of trap beat you going to make. I usually start with the brass then I add the plucks & mixed sounds , then I add the drums.Patters must have complexity or else the beat drop won't sound that good.

Its funny how some "Producers" (not you) talk shit about trap beats and say how easy it is but i always see people having problems with making em. You can't go wrong with a good piano melody, you might not actually use it when the beat is finished but its a good way to get started but trap is all about the baseline really. You get a good starting melody and baseline and every thing else will come to you pretty much. Also Study other beats and really listen for the key components that goes into trap.

the sounds that you choose are important for the genre
a combination of 808 drums, bell and brass you know its trap

and chords; in trap they use minor, minor 7, diminished,

Last edited:
Back