Mackie 1220i + external pedal with DAW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cee High

Space Echo + Mackie 1220i + Reaper DAW

I'm looking into possibly buying the Mackie 1220i Onyx Firewire mixer. I have a question before I make my choice and I hope you guys can help me out.

I have projects that are multitracked (or stemmed ie each part of the song has its own channel). I want to run a few tracks, one at a time, out through my external RE-20 Space Echo pedal and then record the wet signal from the Space Echo, back onto a new stereo channel and combine with the rest of the project. (basically like a re-sampling method I suppose)

The Mackie 1220i mixer says on page 23 of the owners manual "Channel 11/12 can be fed by two outputs from the computer. This is useful for virtual instruments that want to be "just another channel" among hardware instruments."

So I'm assuming that means I can assign a multitrack channel from my DAW to this hardware Mackie Channel 11/12 and use the Aux Send knobs to apply Aux FX (which would be the Space Echo pedal) to this channel correct? If so, how would I record the wet signal BACK into the DAW, without creating a feedback loop?

Would I just setup my In & Out for whatever DAW channel I wanted to send to the Onyx and apply the Space Echo, then setup a new stereo track in my DAW, mute it and have its In & Out pickup the output POST output of the Onyx 1220i Channel 11/12?

All I have to go with right now is just by what I'm reading. I don't own the Mackie 1220i, just trying to figure out if it can achieve this before I buy it. Thank you!

Last edited:
11/12 as daw ins to the mixer

send via aux 1/2 to space echo pre fader (this way channel fader can be down)

bring space echo back in on any other channels - depends on your model of space echo

record from main outs to your daw on a new track

okay, 2 quick questions about your reply..

1) when you say "send via aux 1/2 to space echo" .... what exactly does aux 1/2 mean? Wouldn't it just be using Aux 1? Because the RE-20 Space Echo pedal would be my only external device for effects. The RE-20 Space Echo is STEREO IN and is STEREO OUT.

2) and when you say "bring space echo back in on any other channels"... do mean connect the RE-20 Space Echo STEREO OUTPUTS, into stereo line-in channel 9/10 for example, on the Onyx?

And avoid the Aux Returns on the back panel of the Onyx, correct?

Thank you so much for you help!!

(ps I'm basically just trying to use my PC as my main recorder and play everything into it and align all my tracks. Then, run certain tracks one-by-one, out through my Space Echo pedal and then back into Ableton.)

Last edited:
rereading the manual using aux 1 on its should be fine but you need to understand that the signal will be a sum of the left and right channels (meaning some phase cancellation will likely occur).

This path is also predicated on the basis of the Re-20 being able to take a mono input and till affect it as a stereo effect

everything else you asked about is spot on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back