Lost inspiration....Bored quickly

RonTheDon

Only been producing 5 months and the progress I've made, according to people who perform music often, is phenomenal. However, the past 2 months I've lost interest in producing music. I don't know what it is. I'm either too busy because of school starting up or want to spend my time relaxing doing other things.

Since people who play music very frequently tell me that the music I'm producing is actually starting to sound legitimate. I have been gaining a little bit of confidence but I just feel like the creativity and passion isn't there anymore or ESPECIALLY BECAUSE WHEN I TRY I GET BORED OF MAKING MUSIC VERY QUICKLY FOR SOME REASON.

What's wrong and is this normal? I have inspiration and confidence from hearing people tell me how far I've come in such a short time but there's just something missing and I feel too busy or get bored quickly. Am I crazy?

nope, not schizophrenia (and you should be careful making assertions about someone's mental health like that)

could be any form of the attention deficit disorders or it could just be that in spite of your love fo this it is exhausting and you need a break

plateaus of any sort are normal in developing a creative skill; some would argue that they are necessary for you to assimilate new ideas into your work flow.

if it goes on for more than a year then i would be concerned.

In the meantime, maybe talk to your parents/brothers/sisters/friends or even your doctor to see if they notice any other changes in your behaviour/attitude that you may not have

Well...you could do something you normally wouldn't do.There is a lot of things in this field that are either hard or easy (you might find it easy now which could be why you're bored fast)

This stuff is the same level of difficulty as streetfighter that's why I've stuck with it so long lol, but to each his own.If it's getting boring, you could venture out and try some instruments and drumsets or learn sheet music.Could just take a break, could just make a few kits here and there :/
It's not for everybody though, not everybody likes the same thing as everyone else.You'll know what you want sooner or later dude.

nope, not schizophrenia (and you should be careful making assertions about someone's mental health like that)

I was being sarcastic. Things such as OP described occur in almost every person many times in their life's. I would also be careful slapping disorders on every human experience.

Last edited:
Been there too, what helped me was new equipment, i bought a midi keyboard which was really fun playing around with. Thing is you always want to upgrade and that makes you work harder for it. So i'm pretty much striving to afford myself a maschine mk 2 at the moment.

Also, never ever compare yourself to any one else if you have bad self-esteem, other than that i just want to say if you really wanna be something in this scene, work is the only think you can do. Prepare to spend lots of time doing what you like.

Hope too see more from you, you got yourself a follow.
I dig your "acoustic" track too, nice mixed.
Dont give up on your dreams G.

Maybe your done....
Did all the music u were spose to do....
Now its time to quit and find something else to fill ur time with.....

Everyone goes through spurts of this.

Whenever this happens with me, I typically look to see if I simply haven't been challenging myself enough.

I encourage you to actively find something that you are NOT that great at in production. Or something in particular that you KNOW you need to get better at... OR even something that you DON'T enjoy doing as much in production...

Then make projects that are basically designed around practicing this and getting better at it. This will cause you to learn, push yourself farther, create interesting things you may not have before, and, with any luck, re-inspire you. With growth comes inspiration and excitement. So force yourself to grow!

Good luck. Don't stop!

And that's why I don't produce only one genre. When I get bored of one, I jump into another. Right now, I'm considering adding Hard Techno or Hardstyle to my list. I'm just tired of drum and bass (for now), but I doubt I will just quit making music.

i think you're at the point where you want to make a beat so dope it blows you and everyone's socks off... and it discourages you you're not making a track that good so you say **** it... i'm in that predicament right now lol

If Your'e Feeling Like Your'e Bored Just Take A Break -THATS THE EASY WAY OUT -
Take My Route and Force Yourself To learn The Inside Out Of Your'e Programs,Find New Sounds,And Practice DOING EVERYTHING. I Can Name Things I know You Need Work on If Your'e still 5 months in.
MIXING
MASTERING
SONG CONSTRUCTION
NOTE CONSTRUCTION
LEARNING YOUR DAW
These Things Alone Take Some Time Depending On Yourself.

These things ^^^ take time no matter who u r....
You should be thinking in terms of mastering....
Learn structure then master it
-become a beatsmith
Learn mixing then master it
-become n engineer
Yada ya master it
-Become a producer... either that or quit... i love quitters

Last edited:
Don't forget... That melody that sounds boring to YOU after playing it over, and over, and over again might not sound boring to 1st time listeners. There are very few songs I'd like to hear on repeat 20x, and even less where I'd like to loop the same 4 bars over and over - the way we do when we record and mix and compose.

That magic you heard when you first made the melody is the same magic you're hoping the listeners feel when they first hear your track.

"Surgical Gloves" from Raekwon is one of those beats... first time I heard it, I absolutely loved it. Still do. But can you imagine hearing that whiny organ/guitar sample over, and over, and over again in the mix stage? Would drive me nuts, and I'd probably try to improve upon it, and then I'd mess it up when it was just fine in the first place. Ya know?

EDIT: I just realized you have 2 threads about this. My post here is actually more relevant to your other thread, about how you hate your melodies.

Last edited:
i think you're at the point where you want to make a beat so dope it blows you and everyone's socks off... and it discourages you you're not making a track that good so you say **** it... i'm in that predicament right now lol
You're speaking the truth right now lmao, but i learned that in order to make some bomb ass shit you really got to learn music theory in order to make a dope ass beat.
But towards the thread, just take a break and just learn news things about your DAW and shit if that doesn't help then the guy that said you're done is probably right bro.

Back