Lost inspiration....Bored quickly

If all u've been workin off is your creativity....
N u begin to study theory...
you can start to get locked into the rules or what u believe ur suppose to do...
-this chord is followed by this...
Rather than taken the best of both worlds....
-it's been spoken about here before...

Im a fan of learning (mastering) what u believe u need to know...
But not one of ...learning what others tell u u should... b/c they were told they should...

Only been producing 5 months and the progress I've made, according to people who perform music often, is phenomenal. However, the past 2 months I've lost interest in producing music. I don't know what it is. I'm either too busy because of school starting up or want to spend my time relaxing doing other things.

Since people who play music very frequently tell me that the music I'm producing is actually starting to sound legitimate. I have been gaining a little bit of confidence but I just feel like the creativity and passion isn't there anymore or ESPECIALLY BECAUSE WHEN I TRY I GET BORED OF MAKING MUSIC VERY QUICKLY FOR SOME REASON.

What's wrong and is this normal? I have inspiration and confidence from hearing people tell me how far I've come in such a short time but there's just something missing and I feel too busy or get bored quickly. Am I crazy?

I'm going to get fairly deep into this because this is a subject I've been intensely interested in for a very long time.

Part of the reason you were interested in making music in the first place was probably the allure of novelty and mystery (does that sound too obvious?).

When you first get into making music, you're excited by how new and fresh the experience is.
Even though you don't have a clue what you're doing, you confidently tell yourself that you'll figure it out.

However...

As you start to put more and more time into making music,
you start sticking to particular ways of working through challenges.

The hobby goes from being
an enchanting dream full of possibilities
to
a myriad of routine, automatic habits.

But that's not all.

Not only do get stuck in the drudgery and monotony of habit,
but you also eventually start to pressure yourself to live up to an ideal.

You see, when you were just starting out, you were just testing the waters.
If it turned out that this wasn't for you, it wouldn't have mattered.
You played around without a care in the world.

However, as soon as you started putting more time and money into it,
you gave yourself the pressure of recouping an investment.
While everyone else was out enjoying their normal lives,
you were locked up in the lab working. (and if you were stuck in your habitual creative ruts, you weren't even enjoying it!)
You also might have spent all of your spare cash on music stuff!

You might feel that you deserve more respect and acclaim than you've received for your 5 months of dedication.

"You don't want all of that time and money to go to waste, do you?!"
The pressure is so subtle.

So we've got:

- Boredom of routine.
- Pressure to succeed.

So what are you to do to solve these problems?

People might make suggestions like,
"Go out and do something else for a while",
"Learn a new style",
"Collaborate with other producers",
"Pick up some new plugins",
"Learn music theory",
"Get laid/stoned/etc.",
etc.

These might work intermittently, but they're unreliable, and you won't easily understand why they're working (or why they're not).
If you expect these strategies to work without understanding why, you might as well also go out and play slot machines in Vegas as an investment strategy.

Now, I'm a reader.
If I held your attention this far into my post, you might also be one.
If you're not one, I suggest you become one so that you can start to better understand how that organ between your ears works.

I'm going to make two book suggestions:

The first book covers the topic of creativity (and its opposite, habit) by building a model of the brain that's easy to relate to.
It uses this model to explain why you're prone to fall into boredom and habit over time, and suggests strategies for breaking out of ruts.
The book's name is The Mechanism of Mind by Edward DeBono. You can get it used from Amazon for a few dollars including shipping.

The other book might feel like a bit of a stretch, but you'll have to trust me on this one.
It's an absolute classic, often credited for kickstarting the entire discipline of Sports Psychology (also known in more general terms as the Psychology of Peak Performance).
The author suggests an effective paradigm for handling the high-pressure situations you'll often find yourself in as you become more successful.
This book's name is The Inner Game of Tennis by W. Timothy Gallwey. Once again, you can pick it up used from Amazon for a couple bucks with shipping included.

I know that you probably didn't come here to be told to go read.

However, if you pick up these two books and read only a few pages at a time in the bathroom, you might find them helpful.

If you just want some quick inspiration
and some how-to tips on how to create particular types of beats,
check these guys out.

-Ki
Salem Beats (+Reviews)

(EDIT)
P.S.,

This is a wake-up call:
You have a LOT to learn.
Your music is NOWHERE NEAR the level it would need to be if you were to plan to make a living off of it.
Don't feel too self-satisfied with your current level of progress. Be happy you've made it this far, while acknowledging that you have a LONG path ahead of you.
You can quit music if you want, but this demon of a problem will follow you in everything you put serious time into.
Might as well learn to deal with it now, right?
gpWmqu

Last edited:
From my experience, this is fairly normal.
I've gone through something similar many times, and I've realized a number of things:

1. Don't ever make music for any reason besides the fact that you love music, you love to make music, and you love the music that you're making. Perhaps you aren't actually passionate about music, in which case, stop and do something you like doing, otherwise you're wasting your time.

2. RELAX. There's also a good chance you actually do like making music, so have fun with it. It's easy to trick yourself/ get inside your own head with stuff like this.

3. Listen to music you love and listen to new music, have an open mind. There are few feelings better than finding new music unlike any other type of music you've heard before, and this sensation can only be achieved with an open mind. Furthermore, creativity also, without a doubt, can only be achieved by having an open mind.

4. Don't stop. The most important part of making art is that you actually sit down and do it (and NOT give up after 5 minutes). If you stick with it, I guarantee you something will come to you eventually and your ideas will eventually take on a life of their own.

If this advice was at all helpful to you, I'd HIGHLY recommend you check out "The War of Art" by Stephen Pressfield.

All you need to do is think from different angle and create something you havent tried yet.
Pick a different music genre.

You get boored because it gets too easy for you or your lazy to learn new stuff and do every time the same.

Last edited:
I have to admit, worrying about what notes go with what other notes hinders a lot.Scales don't but that theory behind music, I just ignore that because the stuff in there I don't agree with.Music theory helps you in the sense of recreating normal music but it's not gonna help for the weirdness.Scales are awesome though, you can learn the ones already there, make your own and follow those etc.

And then muscle memory is almost permanent so if you stick with some scales for 2 days you'd be able to remember them long long after.I still remember some of that ff13 serah's piano thing even after 3 months of not doing it.If you have a melody in your head, find the notes and practice it then practice some more

And then muscle memory is almost permanent so if you stick with some scales for 2 days you'd be able to remember them long long after.

As I mentioned in my post earlier (and as some others echoed),
learning can become a roadblock to becoming inspired under certain circumstances.

For example, many people spend too much time around the root note of a scale when they're noodling around for ideas.
Why?
Well, it's likely because when they practiced their scales, they developed the habit of starting and ending on the root note.
If you practice your scales by starting in the middle and expanding outwards,
do you suppose that you might approach the exact same scale from a totally different perspective?

Having the information you need to effectively communicate and complete your musical ideas is extremely useful,
but you need to make sure that you're paying attention to the restrictive nature of habit when you practice, so that you don't develop habits which restrict your inspiration.

-Ki
Salem Beats (+Reviews)
gpWmqu

Last edited:
You're speaking the truth right now lmao, but i learned that in order to make some bomb ass shit you really got to learn music theory in order to make a dope ass beat.
But towards the thread, just take a break and just learn news things about your DAW and shit if that doesn't help then the guy that said you're done is probably right bro.

word .. but i don't think you really NEED music theory.. i have none but i can make a dope track .. it's just having an ear for what sounds good.. crazy you mentioned music theory.. i just enrolled in a class for that that starts this semester.. hope i learn a thing or 2

word .. but i don't think you really NEED music theory.. i have none but i can make a dope track .. it's just having an ear for what sounds good.. crazy you mentioned music theory.. i just enrolled in a class for that that starts this semester.. hope i learn a thing or 2

I completely agree. Music theory isn't necessary for making music, but knowing SOME can take the guesswork out of expressing certain ideas. It can also help unlock some useful possibilities you didn't know were available for use in your compositions. I do strongly recommend you learn some songs, though. Songs will help you make sense of the concepts that you can eventually apply to your own music. Secondary dominants and chord substitutions, FTW!

I have to admit, worrying about what notes go with what other notes hinders a lot.Scales don't but that theory behind music, I just ignore that because the stuff in there I don't agree with.Music theory helps you in the sense of recreating normal music but it's not gonna help for the weirdness.Scales are awesome though, you can learn the ones already there, make your own and follow those etc.

And then muscle memory is almost permanent so if you stick with some scales for 2 days you'd be able to remember them long long after.I still remember some of that ff13 serah's piano thing even after 3 months of not doing it.If you have a melody in your head, find the notes and practice it then practice some more
So would you recommend anything (music theory wise) beyond scales?

any basic theory, don't want to go too in depth. I 100% agree with what u said

So would you recommend anything (music theory wise) beyond scales?

any basic theory, don't want to go too in depth. I 100% agree with what u said

I don't care what anyone says.. you can never know enough theory. There isn't gonna be some point where you are like "oh my god I'm learning too much theory I need to chill on it my productions are starting to suck" just learn as much as you can. Why wouldnt you wanna go in depth? You don't need to stress about learning a lot, but you're mindset is wrong by thinking "I'm just gonna learn X amount of theory then ill be fine on it forever" Either do it or don't, don't look for shortcuts before you start.

I don't care what anyone says.. you can never know enough theory. There isn't gonna be some point where you are like "oh my god I'm learning too much theory I need to chill on it my productions are starting to suck" just learn as much as you can. Why wouldnt you wanna go in depth? You don't need to stress about learning a lot, but you're mindset is wrong by thinking "I'm just gonna learn X amount of theory then ill be fine on it forever" Either do it or don't, don't look for shortcuts before you start.
Sometimes people spend too much time learning rather than making music. I'm actually a victim of that currently. I'm tryna cool down on tutorials and just experiment

Last edited:
Don't take mah advice about theory, if it works for ya, it works.My mistake is trying to learn all of this audio stuff while still trying to make beats few minutes after tutorial watching.Music theory seems like it's about why the notes go together.My problem is, I like normal notes and dissonant notes.I know exactly how I want my stuff to sound, but I can't do the melody instantly with no practice beforehand like I always have to do, which tampers with my tophat if you catch my reasonings.

Maybe The learning and beatmaking should be separated by weeks instead of minutes lol.

Don't push yourself to producing, sometimes I also don't feel like producing, and then I just don't. Otherwise I'm going to be stressed even more

With me personally the best way to stay inspired is to take breaks from making music, like 1-2 months weeks where I listen to my favorite music and just get inspired.
I also find that when I am inspired it is a good time to go overboard and spend extra time polishing tracks, because when the inspiration is gone I can't just turn it back "on"

Back