Left to right filter effect (Help!)

MoMac85

Hey all! I'm new to the site but excited to learn and take part in conversations.

I am currently mixing a hip hop EP and the kid would like for a part of the song to volley back and forth between the left and right ear. I've heard this effect before and I tried it using panning and phasing but for some reason, I cannot get it to stand out in a way that sounds great with the song and is noticeable.

Any suggestions? Tips? Ideas?

Thanks a lot!

what you described is probably the way to do it. You can also try using delay with pingpong effect, leaving only the wet signal to come through the mix also.

automate the pan switch position with a sine wave set in sync with your bpm. otherwise clone the channel twice, pan one to left the other to right and slice out the sections you dont need.

Which parts of the song exactly are you trying to pan? Vocals? Synth? Hi-hats? Be a little bit more detailed!

and your solution is (others might like to know what to try)

myself, I'd create an aux track and send the vocal to it.

I would then insert an eq and high pass at least octave above the lowest note the singer/rapper uses in the line and maybe add some air.

I would then send that to another aux channel and insert a compressor and apply a high ratio (10:1 or higher) fast attack fast release, threshold at -40dBFS or even lower then apply some makeup gain to taste.

Now both of these auxs are sub-grouped to a channel with an auto-panner on it (I only need one instance of the auto-pan but need both the eq'd and the hyper-compressed channels to bounce in the same direction at the same time) set the pan rate as needed.

End result a vocal that is filtered with some emphasis applied by the compressor that bounces form side to side at a rate you set. You can control the amount of emphasis by adjusting the makeup gain, even perhaps automating it

Resource I Found

This is where I found my solution: YouTube, David Chamberlin, How to Make A Ping Pong Delay in Logic Pro 10

He gives a pretty nice explanation that wasn't too complicated. My plan is to try the different methods you all posted as well as his and use the one that works best for me.

Hope it's helpful to someone else as well!

Back