learning piano

charlie morgan

I am thinking about learning piano/keyboard to become a better producer.
But were do I start? I want to learn by maholo vidoes but what do I learn first? What chords do I need to learn first?
Etc. I don't want to be amazing just to be able to play abit.
Would it just be easier to learn songs or chords first?
Thankyou

Do you want to be able to play the piano, or do you want to be able to understand how to play the piano so you can build phrases slowly on the piano roll? (keep the word slowly in mind, because if all you know is the theory; it will be a lot slower to put your phrases together rather than if you can actually play it by ear..but in the end you can still get it done with just theory...alot slower)

Two different approaches..You can achieve the second (which I'm assuming is what you want) by just studying music theory. Then if you know theory learning piano later on down the road would be a lot easier if you ever decided to.

Id pay 15 bucks for a subscription to groove3 for 30 days and take their music theory explained course. Learnt more from that structured learning session regarding theory in a week then I have in the last year trying to figure it out based on random sources. Theory is the kind of thing that needs to be explained right in order for it to click. Once it does, you will be wondering why the hell it was so confusing; because its generally pretty simple once it makes sense to you. It took that specific video series for me to get a full and confident grasp on basic theory.

And since you have 30 days, you will also have time to take their Songwriting theory explained and Jazz Theory explained series as well.

There are other sites but groove3 is the cheapest and it seems to cater more to beginners.

If you don't have a good source teaching and explaining theory to you, its pretty much a waste of time. Thats what I found out anyway. Its meant to be structured like a curriculum, not random youtube videos.

There is nothing wrong with practicing what you learn in theory on the piano and learning songs along the way. Of course its gonna help you. BUT if all you wanna do is sit down and slowly put together a phrase by clicking it in with your mouse, all you need to know is the theory of it.

WITH ALL THAT BEING SAID I am aware that learning songs and stuff makes it ALOT easier and faster.. but I'm just laying out the different options.

Last edited:
Do you want to be able to play the piano, or do you want to be able to understand how to play the piano so you can build phrases slowly on the piano roll? (keep the word slowly in mind, because if all you know is the theory; it will be a lot slower to put your phrases together rather than if you can actually play it by ear..but in the end you can still get it done with just theory...alot slower)

Two different approaches..You can achieve the second (which I'm assuming is what you want) by just studying music theory. Then if you know theory learning piano later on down the road would be a lot easier if you ever decided to.

Id pay 15 bucks for a subscription to groove3 for 30 days and take their music theory explained course. Learnt more from that structured learning session regarding theory in a week then I have in the last year trying to figure it out based on random sources. Theory is the kind of thing that needs to be explained right in order for it to click. Once it does, you will be wondering why the hell it was so confusing; because its generally pretty simple once it makes sense to you. It took that specific video series for me to get a full and confident grasp on basic theory.

And since you have 30 days, you will also have time to take their Songwriting theory explained and Jazz Theory explained series as well.

There are other sites but groove3 is the cheapest and it seems to cater more to beginners.

If you don't have a good source teaching and explaining theory to you, its pretty much a waste of time. Thats what I found out anyway. Its meant to be structured like a curriculum, not random youtube videos.

There is nothing wrong with practicing what you learn in theory on the piano and learning songs along the way. Of course its gonna help you. BUT if all you wanna do is sit down and slowly put together a phrase by clicking it in with your mouse, all you need to know is the theory of it.

WITH ALL THAT BEING SAID I am aware that learning songs and stuff makes it ALOT easier and faster.. but I'm just laying out the different options.
How does that groove3 theory course compare to someone free like Lypur on YouTube? His videos are decent but I'm interested in something better

You would be better off learning to play WHILE learning theory. Theory isn't music, songs are music. You learn theory by learning songs.

How does that groove3 theory course compare to someone free like Lypur on YouTube? His videos are decent but I'm interested in something better

I was doing, and promoting Lypurs videos before I got groove3. Groove3 is way better. Lypur takes waaaaay too long on his videos. And he knows what he's talking about, but half the time it sounds like he doesn't. Like he cant explain properly or something.

You would be better off learning to play WHILE learning theory. Theory isn't music, songs are music. You learn theory by learning songs.

This might be, and probably is the reason it took me looking at a few different sources until I understood theory. But if you are 'producing' as you go..how would practicing piano be any different than practising applying your theory to your productions on the piano roll? In a way, you're still 'playing' the piano roll. Both result in hearing a finished product based on what you applied to it.

This might be, and probably is the reason it took me looking at a few different sources until I understood theory. But if you are 'producing' as you go..how would practicing piano be any different than practising applying your theory to your productions on the piano roll? In a way, you're still 'playing' the piano roll. Both result in hearing a finished product based on what you applied to it.
Re-read what you wrote and see of you can't answer that yourself.

is this the course youre talking about?

Music Theory Explained by Eli Krantzberg

Yes, that one is good for fundamentals..But its the Song Writing Theory Explained video that you will take AFTER the music theory one that really helps with production and putting the music theory into songs. And the Jazz Theory explained series looks even better..Im done the music theory one and the song writing theory one..Without the songwriting theory explained series, the music theory one is almost useless for production..Which I think is what Pump has been trying to say but I wasn't even thinking about it because I was considering the songwriting and music theory as one..Which they aren't in this case.

Im taking the jazz theory next, I checked out the curriculum and it looks amazing.

Get the all access pass and youll be able to do em all in 30 days for 15 bucks..among the countless other series they have on there..Ive learnt more from groove3 in the last month than I have off youtube in the last 6. Engineering school probably has something to do with that too but w/e. Its a great site..

Last edited:
Yes, that one is good for fundamentals..But its the Song Writing Theory Explained video that you will take AFTER the music theory one that really helps with production and putting the music theory into songs. And the Jazz Theory explained series looks even better..Im done the music theory one and the song writing theory one..Without the songwriting theory explained series, the music theory one is almost useless for production..Which I think is what Pump has been trying to say but I wasn't even thinking about it because I was considering the songwriting and music theory as one..Which they aren't in this case.

Im taking the jazz theory next, I checked out the curriculum and it looks amazing.

Get the all access pass and youll be able to do em all in 30 days for 15 bucks..among the countless other series they have on there..Ive learnt more from groove3 in the last month than I have off youtube in the last 6. Engineering school probably has something to do with that too but w/e. Its a great site..
thanks man i will look in to this

Back