Learning to become a pro producer?

dizkojockey

Hi guys. This question has probably been asked a million times before but how do you become a pro at music production? I don't intend to ask generic questions, but simply for some good advice. If you are "good" as in you can produce professional sounding tracks and know exactly what you are doing, how did you go about getting to that level? I often watch tutorials on Youtube and some of the guys on there are amazing, pulling up all manner of different plugins and tweaking and changing stuff. At times it can seem a colossally overwhelming thing to learn. What was your learning route to where you are today? I'd love to be able to produce tracks as good as these...

Last edited by a moderator:
It really just takes practice. The more you do it, the better you'll get. Your ears will develop and start to hear things differently, you'll really listen to music in a whole new way. I went to a music college and that's where I developed my vocabulary, but really all of this stuff can be learned online, reading books, etc. The best of luck to you my friend!

What Jade said. It takes a lot of reading and practice, as in years. It takes years to integrate yourself into a piece or set of hardware or software(s) so that you can make the music as you imagine it in your head. Years to learn sound design, mixing, mastering, theory.

Back