Layering, how to?

Mauri358

Hi, i work on FL Studio and i just wanted to know the purpose of layering? I mean what is it for, is it really necessary? How do i layer (any tutorial videos will be really helpful). Let's say for example that i have a lead, instead of layering it, i'snt just the same to insert another vst generator, then copy paste that lead on the piano roll? I will have two leads that way..

Thanks for the replies in advance, sorry for the bad english.

What you mentioned is basically layering. Having multiple sounds being played at the same time, either the same sound or different sounds. Sometimes it helps to make the sound "fuller". Hope that helps.

I thought there was another way in which you create a layer and you set the vst generator you want as children. After this when you play a note in this layer, it is played in every vst generator you assigned previously.

An example of layering in my own workflow is my kick drum.

My kick is made up roughly 4 sounds (usually) - allows me to shape the whole sound by focusing in on its parts.

He's not talking about the concept of layering.
There is a certain channeltype inside FL Studio called "Layer" where you can link multiple instances of a sound and play MIDI notes for all of them at once.

Here's a vid on how to do it (pretty corny vid but whatever):

Thanks Steffeeh for the help. You help me in every post!. Amazing. Is there a diffrence between layering with this channeltype (called layer), than doing it separately?

Thanks Steffeeh for the help. You help me in every post!. Amazing. Is there a diffrence between layering with this channeltype (called layer), than doing it separately?

The only advantage of doing it with a Layer-channel is that you can play all layers simultaneously on your keyboard. I barely use this feature at all, I find it more simple to just record MIDI on one of the layers and then copy it over to the rest.

I thought there was another way in which you create a layer and you set the vst generator you want as children. After this when you play a note in this layer, it is played in every vst generator you assigned previously.

Yes both methods are the same thing. The advantage that a Layer track in FLStudio has is that you can edit the notes and affect the entire sound without having to copy/paste it onto all the other channels or what steffeeh mentioned that you can use your keyboard and trigger all sounds together. Thats what I love about FLStudio, there are multiple ways to do the same thing. The preferred method is up to you.

Doesn't really matter whichever method you use to put together a bunch of sounds to act as one sound - it's all layering in the end.

search Youtube for any information u need i still do all these years later any yes layer is needed to make anything worth listening to

Back