laptops/ laptop specs to look for in a laptop

Moralz

I'm trying to get a laptop for college and one I can use to do my music with. I know powerbooks are mostly the standard. Somebody give me the low down on them.

They're convenient and mobile (obviously). Do some research and some pricing. It's hard to make a judgement call on the quality of a laptop oppose to a Desktop because, if you spend $900 on a Desktop, you know you're getting a pretty good quality PC. It's not really like that with a laptop. The next time you stop in an electronics joint, ask some questions and write some stuff down. It Also depends where your pockets are because you can get an Apple iBook with a G5 in it and be finished for around $1,200.

Last edited:
yea, I would rather use a desktop but my pops is only getting me a laptop since it's for college.
My fam is mad cheap so electronics joint is outta the question
But is there something you would recommend as far as music goes?
We're looking on ebay right now and I need to know what I should look for in these catagories

Brand: I'm thinking about either a sony vaio or powerbook

Processor Type: I don't know if it should be a pentium or what

Processor Model: No clue

Operating System: My guess is I should go with XP

Processor Speed: Don't know how many ghz

Memory (RAM): at least 512 is my guess

Last edited:
Please see my comments to your concerns below, hightlighted in Orange:

Brand: I'm thinking about either a sony vaio or powerbook
Keep in mind that a Sony Vaio means taht your are getting a PC, and that means you can only run software made for a PC. If you get a Powerbook, that means you are getting a Macintosh, and that measn you will only use software made for a Macintosh. They aren't interchangeable. If you are going to college, find out in advance what they prefer you to have.

Processor Type/Speed: I don't know if it should be a pentium or what
Faster is always better. My suggestion would be a Centrino processor PC laptop with a 1.7GHz or better CPU.

Operating System: My guess is I should go with XP
Yep, that's what I'd do you don'r NEEEED anything more that XP Home, but XP Professional could be handy if you plan on taking any computer networking courses.

Memory (RAM): at least 512 is my guess[/QUOTE]
If you want to do music, I consider 1GB to be the minimum. If you can't get the 'rents to spring for that much, make sure you can upgrade later.

Back