Krk rokits Good?

First: do not listen to any advice from anyone who says they mix on headphones because that person is clueless. Mixing on headphones is a total noob no-no for many reasons which I won't go into here; that's for a different section of this forum.

That being said, if you do invest in some KRKs, get the newer powered (AKA active) models, and if you can afford it, get the 8's or bigger. I believe they just released a set that has 10" speakers in it, but I haven't heard them. I use the KRK Rockit 8's while tracking/dialing in tones and then switch between those and a cheapo pair of Alesis active Mk2's while mixing.

I do agree with many of the comments here regarding the KRK's low-end: they tend to be a little soft on the low end; adding a subwoofer will be my next big purchase. But, the Alesis monitors I use are almost a bit over-hyped on the low-end, so having both sets to switch between typically allows me to accurately mix the low-end on all my tracks. I produce/record many different genres (alternative/indie/rock/hip-hop/vocal jazz/pop) and the KRKs work well for all of those genres (as any decent set of monitors should).

Also, ignore the advice posted by someone here where they said you'd be better off with a set of bookshelf speakers. I'm not sure what that user meant when he said the bookshelf speakers would "outperform" the KRKs, but it doesn't really matter because that's just categorically false. Also, bookshelf speakers are meant for listening to a finished product and are typically hyped & cut in frequencies all across the spectrum, so that will affect how yer mixes translate to other systems (and usually it's not good).

There were some great suggestions about other, higher-end monitors you can choose: DynAudio, Focal, Genelec...all GREAT monitors and most of those companies' speakers would be a better choice than anything from KRK, but budget is always a factor for studios of any level, and I think the KRKs are a great bang for the buck. I would agree with some other comments here that suggest going with the M-Audio BX5a's; they're in the same price range as the KRKs and are probably a bit more accurate in terms of frequency response.

Hope that helps.

I don't want to bring down the positive tone of the thread...but to give insight, I must. The Rockit Series holds no ground when compared to a decent stereo amp and speakers in the same category. As an all in one solution, they're convenient, but for half the price, a pair of bookshelves connected to an amp will outperform them.

I agree I was just trying to say that any monitor can be worked with based on how familiar you become with it. With that being said you still want a good starting point, I would never buy the ROKITs and they wouldnt even be in the running for my decision. But can it be done with em, sure. At that price point id go with the HS6 7 or 8's depending on the room size. I was comparing the hs6 to the adams I got and these adams are simply beautiful, took some getting used to but DEF worth the money. The Hs6's though were 1000 dollars less and definitely held their own against the Adams considering the price difference.

First: do not listen to any advice from anyone who says they mix on headphones because that person is clueless. Mixing on headphones is a total noob no-no for many reasons which I won't go into here; that's for a different section of this forum.

That being said, if you do invest in some KRKs, get the newer powered (AKA active) models, and if you can afford it, get the 8's or bigger. .

If he gets 8 inch KRKs in too small of a room he will be just as %&$#ed as if he was mixing on headphones.

Also, ignore the advice posted by someone here where they said you'd be better off with a set of bookshelf speakers. I'm not sure what that user meant when he said the bookshelf speakers would "outperform" the KRKs, but it doesn't really matter because that's just categorically false. Also, bookshelf speakers are meant for listening to a finished product and are typically hyped & cut in frequencies all across the spectrum, so that will affect how yer mixes translate to other systems (and usually it's not good).

Typical quote from person that thinks studio monitors are more accurate just because they have been marketed as such.
Do yourself a favor, and research the frequency response of some 'bookshelf speakers".
Not all but many are very much in the studio monitor ball park in performance, and accuracy.
There have been shootouts done showing some studio monitors are suited better for mid range monitoring, and some bookshelf speakers better at near field, and vice versa.

Last edited:
Not all but many are very much in the studio monitor ball park in performance, and accuracy.

Well, if "ball park" is good enough for you, who am I to argue? I wouldn't survive another day in this industry if "ball park" was the standard at which I set my recordings & mixes.

Just for clarity's sake, when I think of "bookshelf speakers," I think of those cheapo, square boxes that cost $75-$100 per pair. If yer referring to something far more high-end, well then you probably have a good argument. Even still, in the past I've mixed on B&O's as well as B&W's, and the mixes still aren't as good (meaning translate well over a number of different systems) as they could've been had I mixed on NS-10s or even just my KRKs (which aren't the best, by any means, but for the price, they're excellent as long as you are aware of the low-end issues).

That is all.

It depends on the model o B&W's you used. Some of their stuff is hyped.
The dm303's come to mind as a pair that has a good frequency response, and a steal for recent ebay prices.
The new 685's are a bit more hyped from what I saw.
Another thing you must consider is that hi-fi can be great for monitoring, but many might need to have those speakers positioned mid-field rather than near field.
I've been recommended b&w DM602's in the past, but they are not for near field use. You have to use them set back a bit further to get the most use from them.

Last edited:
It depends on the model o B&W's you used. Some of their stuff is hyped.
The dm303's come to mind as a pair that has a good frequency response, and a steal for recent ebay prices.
The new 685's are a bit more hyped from what I saw.
Another thing you must consider is that hi-fi can be great for monitoring, but many might need to have those speakers positioned mid-field rather than near field.
I've been recommended b&w DM602's in the past, but they are not for near field use. You have to use them set back a bit further to get the most use from them.

Nice. You are easily the most knowledgeable person I have come across in this forum. Cool on you, mate!

Lol @ "Accuracy" being found in a $300 price range period. Active monitors for that matter. 100% FACT There are speaker/amp setups in the same price range that give much better response than KRKs. You're showing your own ignorance right now.

A $150 amp(that's some entry level studio stuff like the Alesis RA series) and a pair of $100 8" Bookshelves? GTFOH. Keep the idea you know what you're talking about, again, $300 powered B.S. sold with the dream of accuracy vs a halfway decent audio setup for listening. Quit believing everything packaged as a "studio monitor" actually is one. Thos cheaply built amps/cabinets, everything? Next we'll be convincing guys "Beats By Dre" aren't the same over packaged and promoted B.S. :cheers:

Back