Komplete 8 ULTIMATE worth the extra money?

Memphis12

I'm going to get Komplete 8 when it releases on the 1st, but I was wondering if the the ultimate package is kind of a "must" over the regular package? I've never had one of the other Komplete's so I'm not sure exactly what it offers. My favorite instruments are strings, and I saw on the comparison chart that the strings section wasn't on the regular package. So I was wondering if the people who had past Komplete's could vouch if the stuff that does come with the regular package will have enough, high-quality, realistic, strings, piano's, guitars, orchestras, etc. I think I'll be find on the synth side, but wasn't sure on the "real" instruments. Here's the comparison chart: NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : HOME | HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE FOR MUSICIANS, PRODUCERS, DJS, GUITAR AND BASS PLAYERS

I believe Kontakt comes with plenty of strings as well and that's included in the regular version. I wouldn't pay 500 extra dollars just for one set of instruments, if all you really want/need is strings then check out something like Miroslav Philharmonik.

You know one thing about the ultimate package thats really caught my eye is the external hard drive. This sort of installation could slow things right down so they've put it on a usb drive. Personally i think thats a great idea and the fact you dont have to sit through hours upon hours of installing disc after disc. I nearly bought komplete 7 a few weeks back but opted for maschine instead, glad i did now as i would have missed this. Im not sure if the difference in price is too much, but for me the hard drive keeps 240gb's off my mac and allows my system to operate the way it should. Im just counting the pennies till i can get the cash together for this then im off to digital village to get this bad boy. Im out! Peace.

You know one thing about the ultimate package thats really caught my eye is the external hard drive. This sort of installation could slow things right down so they've put it on a usb drive. Personally i think thats a great idea and the fact you dont have to sit through hours upon hours of installing disc after disc. I nearly bought komplete 7 a few weeks back but opted for maschine instead, glad i did now as i would have missed this. Im not sure if the difference in price is too much, but for me the hard drive keeps 240gb's off my mac and allows my system to operate the way it should. Im just counting the pennies till i can get the cash together for this then im off to digital village to get this bad boy. Im out! Peace.

Do note that the drive is only for installation - sadly, you can't just run Komplete off it.

I kinda faced the same problem with picking so what i did was look at the synths that didnt come with the regular and see how much more each one would be by theirself

I kinda faced the same problem with picking so what i did was look at the synths that didnt come with the regular and see how much more each one would be by theirself

Razor & The Mouth? Most of the additional Ultimate stuff are the sample libraries - that's where I'd look.

That too i want session strings pro and that doesnt come with the regular one and ult. Version cost 750 (maschine crossgrade) so komplete 500+300=800 thats 50 dollars more than just get the full package and get everything and save 50 dollars.

Lol, I was thinking the same thing to myself.

I agree. It seems like anyone who has K7 has the least to gain from either upgrade. I just need the Kontakt update, funk guitarist and maybe session strings pro and I'm straight. They added a lot of new drums in K8 but, But, you would have to be super picky with drums to even need them. However, I would have paid for some way to integrate all of the NI drums through battery or have the battery interface a part of Kontakt. If Kontakt 5 had a new, mind blowing GUI and workflow. That may make me think about getting Ultimate...huh..

Picked up

Just got mine at guitar center yesterday and it rocks. Took like 3 hours to install. The update of course.

Still having problems trying to locate session strings pro in Kontakt. It doesn't appear.

Also while I'm here I would like to say I have a Numark TTX usb and I haven't even got to use it yet. EX viny sucks .......so I've been trying to hook it up in Abelton live but its not working. Anybody know whats wrong?

I have it hooked with my m box pro......This feels like the wrong thread but hell whatever.

you really don't need everything that it offers. just choose a few (1-2) that you'd think would be suitable for your productions and buy them individually

you really don't need everything that it offers. just choose a few (1-2) that you'd think would be suitable for your productions and buy them individually

You have to be careful buying like that. You could end up spending the same money for a lot less stuff.

Do note that the drive is only for installation - sadly, you can't just run Komplete off it.

NI send me this answer for my same question,hope be usefull

The KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE hard disk actually is a backup drive and an installation
medium, not a generic hard drive - you´ll have to install KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE on
your internal or any external hard disk. The KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE HD provides an
enormous time saving - a KOMPLETE 7 installation (roughly 95 GB) took about 8
hours, a KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE installation now takes less than 2 hours.

The instruments themselves (roughly 5 GB) will always have to be installed on the
system HD, but the library content (roughly 190 GB) may be installed on an
external HD anytime without experiencing any difficulties at all.

Last edited:
It might be worth the money, but not a good value...unless

If you already had komplete 7, it's not that good of a deal. If you only had 2-5, then it's a great deal.

IMO Miroslav has a much richer sound and seems to mix easier, when it comes to RnB/Neo Soul. Session strings is cool, but sounds more like standard orchestral stuff to me. They said it was for pop, rnb, soul. But, it's too "heavy". The scoops and articulations are cool. But, if MIroslav was 64 bit, I'd be all over it!

I'm still playing around with funk guitarist. I like it, but it would have been a much better value, if it had a non-strum option too. Electri6ity is just too expensive for me. I'm not that picky about guitars. But, Komplete don't seem to have that many guitar samples in it.

The Bass guitar library is cool. Not quite as good as Trillian. But, good enough! If I had not already purchased Trillian when the scarby library was in Komplete, I probably would have not purchased Trillian. So, now I'm bass heavy and I probably would have got more value from Komplete 8 Ult if it traded just one of the bass libraries for a Guitar library.

Plenty of Pianos/keys...maybe too many. After loading Komplte 5/6/7/8 I pretty much have at least 50 different piano instruments and more like 200 if you include electric pianos. Dang, man. let's trade some of these sounds in for some other instruments.

Komplete * Ultimate would have been a much better value if they addressed weaknesses found in their prior compilations.

Bass- They did that up perfect! (getting scarbee)
Rythym guitar- Pretty good, but not great
Extended strings- Did a pretty good job.
Guitars in general - Nope
Horns/Brass - Big mistake! Nope

I'm not asking NI to give me more. That would be greedy. I'm just saying they could "fill in the blanks" a little better.

But...But...the BIGGEST mistake is when they dropped Kore 2! 10 thousand sounds and no way to manage them! I keep using the same sounds over because I don't want to spend a week learning obscure sounds. Maybe they have something cool coming out to replace Kore 2? I hope so.

That's enough rambling. Back to beat making, I go.

Back