Keyboard Vs. Beat Pad

eick

Buying my first piece of production hardware. Would you recommend a MIDI Keyboard or a beat pad (like an MPC)?

I produce House AND Hip Hop on Ableton/Reason and I am looking to add my first piece of hardware to the mix. I am thinking a keyboard, but is a full size midi keyboard necessary? I like having an entire piano roll like a real piano but is it worth buying a cheaper brand to get the extra keys? Or would a smaller Korg for example be better than a larger (but cheaper) brand? (also include recommendations for products if any)

Any thoughts? Cheers!

i think personally you should get a keyboard cause you can basically do "everything" on and mpc on a keyboard

I like drumming on keys and pads. Obviously playing melodies is easier with a keyboard. How much do you want to spend. How big do you want it.

I am looking to spend no more than 150$. I would prefer a full 61 key keyboard but I would have to buy a cheaper brand to get it. Is brand that important? (korg 61 key would be WAY over budget)

I have a 49 key M-Audio keyrig, it was extremely cheap. It's obviously not the best, considering it's cost, but it really does a great job and I use it constantly.

I rock the M Audio Axiom(25 key version) it's got 8 pads built in.. I think it's the best of both worlds as far as Midi Controller's go... I have a 61 key Triton and my old Boss SP 202 which is just a simple sampler with pads, but I hear the classic MPC is always a safe bet... and my buddy swears by the Microkorg....

you reaaaally dont need anything bigger than a 49 key, seriously
i have an akai MPK 49 and the only USEFUL thing you get when buying the more expensive brands is build quality - but even that varies between models

keys over pads everytime on a production level, you can do everything on a keyboard and you can be more expressive with ideas

Back