Just getting started

toddswo

toddswo
Hey y'all. I've been rapping and singing for years but I just recently started out trying to produce my own tracks and see where I go from there. I use FL studio as of now. Any other producers got any tricks or tips to help me get started? I have the melodies in my head, just can't lay them out in the DAW since I just started using it. Peace. Love. Prosper.

Welcome and if you are going to learn to produce be as passionate as you are about rapping and don’t do everything yourself as real artists outsource.

Hi toddswo,
There are so many things you could start learning now. It depends what you want to learn. Is it about panning, EQ, Limiters, Compressors... etc., be more specific so i can give you a specific answer!
If you have melody in your head but can't get them down, the best you cold do is mess around with the fl studio piano roll. Get familiar with it and you'll see improvement!!

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREETS GUYS. I've been wanting to produce for awhile but my life has been crazy and I want to sit down and see what I can accomplish. I have always been passionate about music. I was in a metal band years ago and I've been rapping since I was about 15. I've just never really tried to do anything with it. I kinda just put it aside for years. I am trying to do anything from metal to old school hip hop to even trap beats. I've got all these ideas. I see a few of you use FL studio as well. What VST's and Plugins do you guys recommend for beat production?

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREETS GUYS. I've been wanting to produce for awhile but my life has been crazy and I want to sit down and see what I can accomplish. I have always been passionate about music. I was in a metal band years ago and I've been rapping since I was about 15. I've just never really tried to do anything with it. I kinda just put it aside for years. I am trying to do anything from metal to old school hip hop to even trap beats. I've got all these ideas. I see a few of you use FL studio as well. What VST's and Plugins do you guys recommend for beat production?

Honestly don't worry about plugins or VSTs until you learn FL and it's native plugins. Learn the DAW inside and out so you have the techniques to translate what is in your head to the DAW. And be prepared to make shitty music for a bit, its normal and OK. I'm only about 6 months in and what I make now vs when I started is light years apart. Put in a few hours every day, watch tutorials, load tracks in FL and study them with pen and paper, etc. Until you know FL buying plugins and VSTs (or coping for free) is a waste of time (and money) imo. Besides, FL has some pretty great native plugins that can do a lot of interesting stuff.

Back