J37 Tape Saturation Question

M

mkamsi

In a video on youtube, waves guys suggest the J37 Plugin to be applied on each and every track rather than just putting it on the master channel/track/bus .
My question is What is the difference by putting the same plugin over every track and just on the master track??
Did they mean apply different settings over different tracks?
and if we change the modelling (for example 888 in one track and 815 in another) in all tracks , Isn't the whole project gonna be sound like a fake thing? as different parts of one song recorded over different tape machines? If that makes any sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
applying a tape emulation plug to only the master would give you the sound of a master tape

recording to tape meant that every track in the project was recorded on the same tape either at the same time or in close proximity time wise

tape saturation is where the tape can't be forced to change it's flux values any further - it cannot hold any more alteration to the local magnetic field level

tape emulation should be introducing noise artefacts to each channel it is applied to - some people like to claim that this noise is what makes tape "warm", not true, tape "warmth" comes from the over-saturation of the magnetic field used to store individual tracks on that tape

to emulate the full sound of a recording done to tape you should have each channel acquire the requisite noise and saturation characteristics prior to mixdown

personally I prefer to use tape itself rather than a plugin to get that sound - simple enough if you can find a machine that requires minimal effort to keep operational

Last edited:
applying a tape emulation plug to only the master would give you the sound of a master tape

recording to tape meant that every track in the project was recorded on the same tape either at the same time or in close proximity time wise

tape saturation is where the tape can be forced to change it's flux values any further - it cannot hold any more alteration to the local magnetic field level

tape emulation should be introducing noise artefacts to each channel it is applied to - some people like to claim that this noise is what makes tape "warm", not true, tape "warmth" comes from the over-saturation of the magnetic field used to store individual tracks on that tape

to emulate the full sound of a recording done to tape you should have each channel acquire the requisite noise and saturation characteristics prior to mixdown

personally I prefer to use tape itself rather than a plugin to get that sound - simple enough if you can find a machine that requires minimal effort to keep operational

Thanx but I have to use plugin over every track, which settings in the plugin should be changed after pasting the plugin over different tracks, so that to have a real tape sound for the whole project ?

Back