I've lost al hopes

Don't keep starting over on your tracks...rather than deleting your work, leave it and come back to it the next day...make some changes, and you'll notice that you've made it better over time. If you keep starting over you'll never make the improvements, and you'll feel worse because you'll just have given up and given up.

Forced creativity is bad - so walk away from the PC and come back with a better frame of mind. Finish one piece you were struggling on and that will be motivation to make another in itself. Then finish that one and compare the differences. If you keep doing this you'll notice how far you've come over a year, and that'll motivate you yet again.

For advice starting over, try making a track with no beats. One of my music production tutors in uni gave me this advice when I was struggling and depressed and that was an amazing learn for me. I wrote about five minutes of chords, pads and melodies. In the end I revisited that and added beats and a bassline and it turned out to be one of my highest marks for studio composition.

Let us know how you get on.

That's the way it goes. You'll make 100 tracks and one will be good. I make music since I was 9 years old (now I'm 36) and still I throw away lot of music I make. Only practise makes the master.

try not to judge yourself so harshly. you are probably your harshest critic. everyone out there likes something different, and i'm sure there is a whole lot of people who would really enjoy whatever it is you are making. and you don't have to find them for your music to be valid. try to let it be valid on it's own. also, branch out in life. see what else you are passionate about. it might inspire you. watch some good movies :)

I think the first thing to do (in my opinion) is take music lessons to get the basics down, understanding notes and how music is created and written, maybe start with the keyboard ? The lessons you pay for will be invaluable. Think of it like you wouldn't start boxing just because you know how to throw a punch. Also what is your music taste like? This may be just me but I now try listen to every genre of music....full albums to understand how all music is written and laid out to give me better knowledge. I may have written too much but yeah first and foremost get music lessons, pick an instrument and learn and the rest will come with time and experience.

If you want to learn how to record etc then I would recommend starting with Cubase or Logic (I always found Cubase a lot easier) and watch videos on the fundamentals of how to get to grips with everything.

I think the first thing to do (in my opinion) is take music lessons to get the basics down, understanding notes and how music is created and written, maybe start with the keyboard ? The lessons you pay for will be invaluable. Think of it like you wouldn't start boxing just because you know how to throw a punch. Also what is your music taste like? This may be just me but I now try listen to every genre of music....full albums to understand how all music is written and laid out to give me better knowledge. I may have written too much but yeah first and foremost get music lessons, pick an instrument and learn and the rest will come with time and experience.

If you want to learn how to record etc then I would recommend starting with Cubase or Logic (I always found Cubase a lot easier) and watch videos on the fundamentals of how to get to grips with everything.

This is FutureProducers, not FutureMusicians-ain't nobody got time to take no music lessons, let alone learn an instrument. We just wanna make these beats and get this money, bruh.

btw, if you can tell me where to find chord progressions that would be great, also, give me feedback on my soundclick page. f4f

Last edited:

Thanks for the advice, actually I bought a music theory book (Music theory for dummies) and I'm starting with that for an overlook on theory and then I'll see about taking piano lessons etc. I actually use Cubase as my default DAW as I even took a 20 hour course which resulted even in an official diploma.

Surround yourself with people who know what they're doing. I've had guys who've never been in the studio before make more progress than I did over the course of months in a matter of hours just because they had the right direction.

Wow guys, thanks so mich for all the help, I got more help in an hour then ever in my life, i have to truly thank you guys and I decided I'll start taking piano lessons. I would understand why you would answer no but ill ask it anyways, is there by any chance someone that could like show me how he/she starts off a track and the steps, just making even something random to look at the workflow. Thank you again

Hit me up on Skype, you can watch me fool around in Cubase :)

DONT GIVE UP
Practice practice practice, and gain feedback. Critical feedback may hurt, but its a learning process. You will get good

Back