Itunes vs. Soundcloud

MBlack

When giving out your music links, do you give out your Itunes and Soundcloud links? I'm just thinking why would people buy it if you're giving them an option to listen for free.

Well, if you just throw them out there, nobody's gonna pay for what's free. You'll have to build a bond with your audience so that they'll want to pay for supporting your art, rather than just "buying music". Digital sales are still super hard nowadays, even when you have that bond...

As a small artist I would say bandcamp has a much better reputation, as people will be buying your music mostly to support you rather than because they want to own it and can't get it any other way...

Bandcamp is also kind of built as a direct-from-artist indie sales platform, so it's dead easy to set it up.

haha ya, until soundcloud gets an advertisement system running like youtube, thy can't pay artists. Spotify is probably the most effective win-win for artists and fans. Soundcloud understands this is okay with you linking to band camp/itunes, etc.

But they are raising their revenue quickly, so a pay out system to artists based on stream may be coming. I know they're working with spotify, so we'll see.

But it is the dilemma of our time. We want people listen to our music so we use soundcloud to get it to them, ...but in the process we get pimped out.
For now, I know soundcloud is working to get a system running but until then, you have to look into other ways to make money as an artist.

Spotify, Youtube (with ads), iTunes, and band camp are good ways. Just draw the crowd in. It's your job as an artist to entrance and dazzle them so they come ...with money.

but money is leaving our industry. The internet is a good new economy but the music industry hasn't been able to cope with it yet.

Last edited:
Go Itunes. Many people are streaming music nowadays and with the popularity of Apple Music you can reach a wide variety of people.

^ ya, i wonder how long it'll be before it's available to everyone. Right now, it's invite only...and only a few artists can opt in.

Back