It's been a four-year hiatus - Trying to get back into the world I once knew

nrjetik

Three Harmonies
Hey everyone,

Hope all is well. It's been a while since I've posted on here. Long enough for me to feel like my first step back into the world of music should be here in the "Getting Started" sub-forum.

Future Producers was the first forum I joined when I began creating music. Everyone would be helping each other out by giving personal feedback on rapping/singing/compositions, figuring out how to synthesize sounds, and even flipping samples for the love of it. I really loved spending time here just looking at threads and basically learn. Learn to love and appreciate music.

Yet, somehow along the way, I began steering away from the path. I became occupied with other things. School. Work. Hanging out. And admittedly, video games. I don't remember exactly when I took that one full step off the path, but any attempt to get back on it ever since was met with doubt.

My passion for music stayed relatively consistent this entire time, but the passion for creating music had died four years ago. I've struggled to stay relevant. I no longer felt like the music I was making was good enough, and it just wasn't fun anymore. I had a few ideas, but they became experimental and was subsequently thrown into the oblivion of one-minute previews.

Two years ago I decided to pick up guitar. It was hard, but I managed to learn some chords. I eventually was able to play one or two songs, but that was that. No progress. I again felt that lack of passion seeping into my mind. To top that off, by this time I had completely forgotten how to play a single song on the piano.

Actually, the worst of all this was when my computer got ****ed up and lost the majority of the VSTs, sound kits, etc. that I had accumulated over the years. It ****ing crushed me. I didn't have all of them backed up - and even when it was, half of them didn't work anyway for some goddamn strange reason. Knowing I would never be able to achieve the same set up as I had before, I decided it was time to quit.

It's been hard, I admit. Life in general. Unless you planned it well out in advance or have amazing support from those around you, you usually end up getting sucked into a path you know you don't want to completely walk on. Don't get me wrong - I don't hate what I'm doing right now to make ends meet, but my skills were meant for a different field. It makes me wonder: had I stuck with it and tried harder, would I have been where I wanted?

It doesn't mean much now since it's in the past, but it's something I wonder sometimes. Instead of that, lately I've been just listening to music and trying to enjoy it for what it is. Not necessarily in the shoes of a regular listener, but more so like I'm in the shoes of an artist who wants to share good music. That's the kind of thoughts I've been having lately. Just wanting to get back into making some interesting songs that elicit positive, or at least powerful emotions.

And here we are at the present. It's been one hell of a journey, but I think I'm ready to slowly get back into creating music. I have a decent sized to-do list to clear right now, but I think it'll be worth it when I'm done.

Anyways, that's it from me. I know it was a long ass post but I felt like sharing some of my thoughts as a "rogue" music producer. Maybe some of you have or know someome who has gone through similar situations. Feel free to share you story as I'd like to see how everyone is approaching it.

Last but not least, I'd like to say I am proud to be part of this community. There may be a few bad apples (I wouldn't know anymore) but I know for sure they won't be able to keep those willing to learn and get better from learning and getting better. Keep working on your craft and skills and it'll pay off in some shape or form.

Hit me up on Twitter @threeharmonies! I'm going to try keeping it updated and whatnot, but it's hard to when you can't converse because you don't even know who the active music producers and artists are anymore haha.

Peace.

Back