Intro Kick Progression

Gabriel Garcia

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and have a question. At the beginning of a dance music track, there is a very soft kick going on. After the first 16 bars (sometimes) you can feel the kick get fatter/stronger. My question is how do they accomplish this? Would it be layering your kick, using a whole new kick, or using an eq to change the sound of the original kick at the beginning and then playing with it to make it sound stronger. Thank you.

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and have a question. At the beginning of a dance music track, there is a very soft kick going on. After the first 16 bars (sometimes) you can feel the kick get fatter/stronger. My question is how do they accomplish this? Would it be layering your kick, using a whole new kick, or using an eq to change the sound of the original kick at the beginning and then playing with it to make it sound stronger. Thank you.

high pass filter having its corner frequency being lowered: i.e. it is set so that the bottom end is cut out and you only really hear the click rather than the thump

Last edited:
Yes, you can setup a highpass on your kick and then cut it back so it gets stronger and stronger.

Another you could do, which I suppose is a more common thing in certain genres, in having 2 kick layer - a subkick and a topkick. Then yuo just let your topkick play, and let your subkick slowly fade in, making the overall kick sound bigger and bigger.

For bigger drop impact, try doing this: you do the opposite, with kick in it's fullness and being highpassed over time (this means, he gets softer), while a volume automation raise it's volume as well.

The idea here is to create the tension necessary for a big drop, by making things sound thin until you release this pressure with the kick, bass and all other things in it's fullness with the drop.

Back