inspired but stuck....grime / drum and bass production...

westy7070

Hi there guys im new here so hello to all. basically over a long period of time on and off i have produced a couple of tracks on fl studio of the drum and bass and grime genres, obviously i'm not happy with my work so gave up before.

been trying to get back into it recently and i only know so much about production and fl studio,
fl studio is my preferred DAW

obviously compression is a big key to making nice, punchy beats which is what i do :)
but elsewhere i am lacking in knowledge. i know my way around fl but thats about it, more music theory maybe?

But i feel i'm at a point where i'm stuck. i get so much inspiration from the music that i love but i can't express that into production properly due to my skill level...

there is where i'm shouting out to you lovely people!

i need to learn chords and keys better i know that for a fact,
and definitely eqing also...

I have followed guides to writing these styles of tunes on youtube but as you all probably know copying someones notes from a guide to make your own tunes is not unique at all, i'm a little frustrated at it so turned here!

i understand there will be a lot of information here which i am going to sit and digest every night. really motivated by skepta's new konnichiwa album!
some of my main motivations are also liquicity and general grime music...

can put up my soundcloud if this helps some of you may laugh haha but gotta start somewhere...

I also dj as a hobby on my old numark mixtrack pro haha but looking to up my game now!

so hopefully i posted this in the right place, any advice or better ways of learning appreciated, and i looking forward to hearing from some of you!

Last edited:
it sounds super simple, some might be disappointed, since Ive posted that answer like for the 5th time, but anyone would agree that just DOING it for the fun and passion´s sake, will improve your skills day by day. You are searching for the "super secret" that every pro used to produce the tracks they always wanted to produce.

But every single one of them did following: Watching tutorials and spending rediculous much time into just producing 1 track after another 1, you know the 10000hour rule?

It´s important to not try to see the path in it´s full length, all you need to know is that your foots are still on the right path, and from that point, keep going and do what you already can, be happy and kind of thankfull for every single small or big improvement and have fun watching yourself growing to a great musician and producer.

It´s impossible to become worse or stand still at the same spot if you keep going :D life´s not a treadmill

Drum and bass (specially) doesn't require that much knowledge of theory. But, as with all music, it can benefit from it.

Start studying chord progressions, modes, scales. Train your ear. Try getting that melody from your head into your DAW.

ALSO, drum and bass is a genre that relentlessly requires a perfect mixing and mastering. So you basically need to improve this technical aspect of production as well. Know where to cut your sub, so it is present, but don't mess with the weight of the kick. Layer different snares to get that snappy nice snare we listen on most professional dnb tracks. Study and train your abilities with sound design, specially for basses. And most above all: love what you're doing. It's your passion after all, right?

obviously compression is a big key to making nice, punchy beats which is what i do

I'm a stuck record on this subject (I've said this before).
Over compression is one of the biggest crimes of bedroom producers.
Most samples you'll find (from packs, tracks whatever) have already been processed by far more talented sound designers than you or I.
I'm not saying "don't compress" - but be sparing with it.
If you feel like a sample needs heavy compression to sit properly within your mix then you should probably swap out that sample for something more suitable.
Sample selection is key.
Use the right sounds for your track and the mix becomes much easier to handle.

That uninspired or tired time is the perfect time to [Broaden your knowledge on stuff]
like music theory and stuff.

Sheet music and scales will be the easiest parts of it : ]
Still didn't learn the cmaj7 labels for chords though.

this is the sort of help i am looking for, much apreciated, am on it when i finish work starting with chord progressions. and yeah definately thats what is frustrating me trying to get an idea of a melody from my head into fl....and learning which keys / chords sound right....

Last edited:
Back