The importance of backing up.

I'mNoGuru

My hard drive failed 2 weeks ago.
Hadn't backed anything up and I've lost pretty much everything I've made in the last 2.5 to 3 years - including 9 fully mixed tracks for my album.

I swear I nearly wept.

Back your shit up - clone your hard drive.

Such a necessary and important reminder. I used to set a monthly alarm on my phone to backup my computer but I realize I probably haven't done so in almost a YEAR! Maybe because I have a new phone now haha. Thanks for the reminder and sorry for your loss. :(

Also, might be good to point out to back up to 3 different locations. If you want to go real paranoia :p
One is gonna be your main storage, usually a harddrive in your pc itself.
Two is gonna be your main backup. Can be an external HD. Might be good to store that HD not too close to your pc. In case of a fire or theft, that external HD may get lost as well.
Three is gonna be your backup's backup. This will be your backup in case one and two get lost. Imagine your main storage breaking and then finding out your first backup was broken all that time as well because your cat decided to take a piss on your external like 9 months ago or just the day before your main storage broke down :rolleyes:
Nowadays, you can make one of your backups or even main storage an online storage. You can look into how secure an online storage company your thinking of is. I have a couple that I use in the Netherlands that also get used by big companies because they offer really good policies.

I've had that happen to me years ago.

I'm a songwriter and all my formula notes, title ideas, WIP songs were all gone. Now I have an external drive that i plug in every time i work on a project and I backup at the end of every session!

Sorry I.N.G.-- When I saw that title, I knew it was going to be a sad story. Yet we've all experienced it in one way or another. Computer-based production has brought as many problems as it has solutions. Don't forget your back-ups!

That sucks i know how u feel i learned the hard way also myself always have a back just in case as a matter of fact i have to back up anything i made since my last back up see im slipping still sorry your loss you will recover from this sir

It's possible to save some datas from a broken harddisk. Maybe you can save some works if they are so important for you?

Well I'm up and running again now.
Bought a couple new hard drives - cloning the installed one on a weekly basis.

We're having a few bedtime issues with my toddler right now so I've got my laptop, Maschine, a couple boxes of 'select' vinyl and my portable turntable stashed behind the sofa as I can't get up to my attic (studio is up there) much.
Using my little Bluetooth guitar-amp/media player as a monitor - it has full range speakers but is a bit ghetto still.

So far I have a couple dozen throwaway beats, 4 finished (need to check mixes on my monitors) beats and working on 3 or 4 more.

Losing all the kits I built has been the real nightmare... I'm back to building drum sounds on the fly as I produce (and again - could really use my monitors for this!)

You guys should look into cloud services for that :/ Why are you guys sleeping on google drive/mediafire etc anyhow?...
Get into the habit of backing up every 5 gigs worth of tracks you do depending on internet speed and let it do it's thing overnight.

Last edited:
Back