Identifying key signature and bpm for remix.

Tap out the tempo in your DAW to find the tempo. Use a piano or keyboard to find the key. There are softwares that will do both, mixed in key is one.

You can always rely on google. Try searching the name of the song, plus the words "BPM" and "key". If all fails, then you can use the "tap tempo" function on your daw, and use a synth to get the key of the song (placing a note and listening to it until it fits perfectly)

This is my favorite tutorial for finding the key of a song on youtube:
"How to Find The Key of A Song - By Ear
by Rhythmic Canada"

The BPM is really easy to find with a metronome.

Hope this helps man!

Best,
Jeff

so I make the tempo 113bpm using tap tempo (my internal metronome told me 112bpm, so not far off)

as for the key this is a strange one as the guy playing the guitar in the clip is not actually playing the chords you can hear being played in the track

Sounds like i-bVII-bVI-bIII-V in the key of A natural minor - Am - G - F - C - E haven't bothered to work out the second sections chords as yet

I find that the absolute best method for determining the tempo is to use a stopwatch and calculator, tap tempo is alright but it's set up to be more fool proof than accurate. Ideally you want to tap twice to clock a bar rather than tap from beat to beat.

To figure out the tempo.

60/time*beats=BPM

For example.

60/2.526*4=95 BPM

agreed, however, my tap-tempo calculator is using a "running average" code base, which I wrote myself:

it displays up to 3 decimal places (which seems to be the design template for all daws these days) as well as displaying nearest whole number (rounded up or down)

Last edited:
you can tap it out or learn theory and figure the key or google it?

agreed, however, my tap-tempo calculator is using a "running average" code base, which I wrote myself:

it displays up to 3 decimal places (which seems to be the design template for all daws these days) as well as displaying nearest whole number (rounded up or down)

As you alluded to by mentioning a need to average out results the biggest issue is actually sloppy human reaction times, now the reason why I think the stopwatch technique works so well (other than the precision of the button) is because I tend to time longer durations and divide down any single sloppy reaction time I might possibly have. With tap-tempo there is a tendency for people to tap from beat to beat so I guess ideally the perfect tap-tempo would use multiple distant points of reference to determine tempo rather than just go from short point to short point multiplying up the sloppy reaction times to determine the tempo right?

Back