I need help, I'm a beginner. Anybody willing?

ExyDot

Hi, I'm a beginning producer who intends to really get serious with producing. However, I'm a very hands-on, one-on-one type of learner. Watching videos and reading things helps me to an extent, but not the same extent having one-on-one help would.

I want to ask if any skilled producers would be willing to help me out through skype(I don't mind if it's just messaging), and help me fully learn how to use my DAW and effectively make beats. I currently use FL studio 12. It would be greatly appreciated if anybody could help.

My skype username is "Awesomegamer1".

I would love to create a skype group of producers news or skilled to communicate each other, it would be mutch esier to ask for some quick help or smth like that

lesson 1

your basic setup is a 4/4 type, meaning you have 4 beats per measure.
if you want to make real music,
go crazy and use not only whole, half, quarter and eighth notes,
try dotted and triplets as well.

you will find that using them makes you sound more like the pro's.

lesson 2

keep it simple.
choice a single chord(progression) and stick with it the whole song, maybe change once or twice.
but use different variations every 8 or 16 bars.

lesson 3

learn the rules, because you have to break them.
but you can't break them without knowing them.

??

when you just fool around, it sounds like you fooled around.
when you break rules, people will recognize the rules but notice 'your own style' within those rules,
they LOVE that.
don't be a copy cat.
be a cat, sure, but a rogue one, new, fresh and full of surprises.

lesson 4

understand and apply lesson 1 in style

lesson 5

enjoy the previous lessons

Last edited:
I'll try to log in and help you guys. What times are everyone free? I'll post my Skype after i get out of class.

Last edited:
I want in on this Skype thing too. But I'm not a regular Skype user. Do we know when the first conversation will happen?

I used to run a beginners music theory skype session on another site a few years ago, but I don't know if it would be worth it here.

i dont know people dont come in that skype chat :D and pumphrust its would worst skype session with me im learning now so mutch

ca91efe3e033fb8022bf68c153281c3b.gif

Hi, I'm a beginning producer who intends to really get serious with producing. However, I'm a very hands-on, one-on-one type of learner. Watching videos and reading things helps me to an extent, but not the same extent having one-on-one help would.

I want to ask if any skilled producers would be willing to help me out through skype(I don't mind if it's just messaging), and help me fully learn how to use my DAW and effectively make beats. I currently use FL studio 12. It would be greatly appreciated if anybody could help.

My skype username is "Awesomegamer1".

Hi and welcome, this endeavour of yours, if done right, will effectively change your life for the better. But it's not, by any means, an "easy road", it will test your willpower, your dedication, your discipline up to your very soul.

So first, as an advice, I'd say you got to make sure that this is what you want to do, and why you want to do it. There's no easy money or free pussy around for 99% of us. Define what you want to do. I don't believe "producer" is the correct word for what we do here (even tho we tend to go with that word), because it implies a "business" part that is mostly distraction from the most important goal, that is to make the best music you can and share it with as many people as you can. Money and business are results of this work and should definitely not be seen as a goal to set for oneself.

"Producer" as you say, is not a "job", it's a way of life, like the ultimate goal of alchemy, to turn lead into gold, a musician turns darkness into beauty. But you first have to be willing to stare the darkness in the eyes, embrace it.
It'll challenge you, socially, it may alienate you, I've seen people who got completely destroyed by it too, from insanity to suicide, divorce, loss of everything they had.

It has little to do with DAW or even music theory, if you want these things, you can learn them easily, they are skills that you develop, you can watch a 20 minutes video on youtube and have enough of the basics to get started.
But it has to do with that itch to express yourself, express things that you are and feel, things that are unenglishable, things that word couldn't possibly translate.

So my main advice here would be to first learn to be comfortable with yourself, not trying to be someone else, assume your own identity, your own beauty, your own creativity.
Don't run after money, don't run after fame, don't chase any other goal than to express who you are. Money, glory are results of how good you are at being and expressing yourself.

there's one thing you don't want, it is music becoming a job, something you *have to* do to pay the bills. So many people compromise who they are, they want to make beats like Dr X and prods like DJ Y, but if X or Y are so proeficient at making good beats, it is first and foremost because they didn't try to make beats like someone else in the first place.

Good luck in everything, and most importantly: have fun

Learn the definitions of the words you don't understand and write them down or print them. Sounds like nothing, but its super important you understand what Pitch, Pan, EQ ETC mean in the context of making music. Don't overlook that aspect, fiddle around with your DAW and don't expect anything, you will not create a masterpiece so don't go in expecting you will make a song the first couple trys.

As for music theory I read a little, but I don't think I will need it (my ego talking) lol who am I kidding I will study music theory Right now I am watching youtube videos about music theory by busyworksbeats and mrdifferenttv and I have a music theory for dummies book. Anyone have any videos or sites where I can learn music theory quicker or more translucent? I'm making hip-hop/ rnb/ edm type songs right now

As for music theory I read a little, but I don't think I will need it (my ego talking) lol who am I kidding I will study music theory Right now I am watching youtube videos about music theory by busyworksbeats and mrdifferenttv and I have a music theory for dummies book. Anyone have any videos or sites where I can learn music theory quicker or more translucent? I'm making hip-hop/ rnb/ edm type songs right now

Learn theory by learning piano and songs. It will make these concepts stick faster when you can both hear them and play them. Its like trying to learn to cook by watching the food channel and reading cookbooks. None of it won't matter if you're not in the kitchen.

Synonymous,

I don't see any other action in the Skype group. But I'm there and willing to chat. Use it, and we'll connect.

Back