I know I'm capable of making great music, But I never get there

Akulli

I feel like I know enough to make music that sounds great for my taste.
But I always end up making a short loop of 8 or 16 bars, perhaps 2 sections of the song
But I never really finish composition stage
I've finished songs before but that's only after rushing the composition and just repeating one or two sections over and over and moving onto mixing stage

Before now, about 2 or 3 years ago.
I used to put a lot of my time into composition, make it really detailed and beautiful, really patiently
but after I learned about mixing and master, I just can't stop myself from skipping the composition and impatiently mixing and mastering the song, or just leaving the project midway because I get frustrated after I can't finish the composition.

I'm looking for advice on how I can be more patient and spend more time on composition
or just a technique of composing that could help me be more efficient.

akulli,

i understand where your coming from. i used to do the same thing, only coming up with ideas instead of full tracks and records.

i would recommend,
1. using sounds that sound great and sounds that go great together. this step is more of a research and development step. take time to get to know your sounds and make kits/presets catered to the sound you want to create.

2. make/use templates. make your own template of your favorite mixing plugins, vsts/audio units and drum kits in the daw you use. this will give you more time to focus on what your playing. use markers to map out your arrangement, like an intro marker for 4 bars, a verse marker for 8 bars, a 4 bar prechorus marker, an 8 bar chorus marker and so on.

3. subtractive arranging. take your 8 or 16 bar idea and duplicate it for 64 bars. then, start deleting regions out to form an intro, a verse, and a chorus. you can add music to different sections after you've set up your track.

these are some of the techniques i use in my own productions and i know they will help you. what daw do you use?

hi there,

look i think is just a matter of be patient and really focus on the project from start to end. I've had the same problem, i couldn't finish a full song and i stop working on it just a few step away from finishing it. Then i promise to my self to finish each one of them and until i did so, i couldn't start a new project. so i went trough all the uncompleted one and i finished them one by one. Only when i had nothing left i started a new project and this way of working with music production helped me a lot, this is just an idea that can work for you and i really hope it does.

have a good one !!

Back